Bicyclist killed by utility truck is identified
The bicyclist killed Wednesday on Alt. U.S. 19 was identified Friday as Abimael Santiago Cancel, 38, of Holiday. Cancel was riding against traffic on the shoulder south of Plaza Drive when a northbound Ford utility truck hit him about 7:30 p.m., police said. Cancel, who was not wearing a helmet, died at the scene of head injuries, police said. Driver Alanzo Williams, 52, of Holiday, has not been charged.
Memorial Day event at cemetery
A Memorial Day service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at West Elfers Cemetery (take Trouble Creek Road west of U.S. 19 to Baillies Bluff Road). The cemetery has been the final resting place of west Pasco's pioneer families for more than 130 years, including veterans from seven American wars dating back to Florida's Seminole Wars. The event is being organized by the West Elfers Cemetery Preservation Association, with Thomas B. Dobies serving as master of ceremonies, and the Knights of Columbus Honor Guard presenting the colors. For information call (727) 863-1779 or e-mail email@example.com.
Libraries announce summer programs
Pasco County libraries kick off their summer reading programs next weekend with celebrations at all branches. The lineup includes:
• Teen Gaming Kickoff, 6 p.m. June 3 at Land O'Lakes Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes.
• Balloon Jungle Jam, 11 a.m. June 4 at Centennial Park Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday.
• Domingo the Magician, 11 a.m. June 4 at Regency Park Library, 9701 Little Road, New Port Richey.
• John Storms' World of Reptiles, 11 a.m. June 4 at South Holiday Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive, Holiday.
• Tricky Dogs Show, 2 p.m. June 4 at Hudson Regional Library, 8012 Library Road, Hudson.
• The Jiggle Man, 2 p.m. June 4 at Land O'Lakes Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes.
• Drum Circle event, 2 p.m. June 4 at Hugh Embry Library, 14215 Fourth St., Dade City.
• John Storms' World of Reptiles, 2 p.m. June 4 at New River Library, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills.
• Teen Summer Reading kick-off party, with pizza, games, music and movies, 5 p.m. June 4 at New River Library, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills.
Online registration for the summer reading program is already underway at www.pascolibraries.org. People can sign up through July 23. For information, contact the library of your choice.
Note to readers:
The latest crime listings are available online at www.pasco.tampabay.com under "Weekly crime report."