Memo: bombing suspect got rid of key evidence
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, charged in the Boston Marathon bombings, disposed of key evidence after the attack by "discarding a remaining bomb detonator and smashing his cellphones," according to an internal memo approved by Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., made public Wednesday. The memo, written in August to the director of the Bureau of Prisons to justify harsh detention restrictions on Tsarnaev, also said he and his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, "made additional bombs" after the blasts and persuaded others to "attempt to destroy evidence related to the attack." Dzhokhar Tsarnaev also told FBI agents when arrested that he was "committed to jihad and expressed hope that his actions would inspire others to engage in violent jihad," the memo said. Tsarnaev's attorneys included the memo in a court motion Wednesday asking a federal judge to lift the restrictions.
Russian Embassy in Libya attacked
An armed mob broke into the Russian Embassy compound in the Libyan capital of Tripoli on Wednesday, climbing over walls, breaking down a metal gate and shooting in the air. One of the attackers was killed by the gunfire, and four were wounded, Libyan officials said. The Russian Foreign Ministry confirmed the attack and said none of the embassy staff was wounded. Libyan officials said they thought the break-in was in response to the death of a Libyan air force pilot, who they said was killed by a Russian woman.
State College, Pa.
Pa. court denies Sandusky retrial
Convicted pedophile Jerry Sandusky's request for a retrial has been shot down by the a three-judge state Superior Court panel. The judges issued a 19-page opinion Wednesday that held up Sandusky's 30-year sentence and rejected the arguments his lawyer made during a hearing last month in the hope of reversing the verdict and getting his client a new trial. Sandusky is serving his sentence in solitary confinement in the state prison in Greene County.