Club to offer home firearm safety course
The Hernando Sportsman's Club will offer a home firearm safety course at 9 a.m. June 21 in the clubhouse at the club's range in the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area off Commercial Way, north of Weeki Wachee.
All equipment and materials will be provided. The course is about five hours, including range time. The class qualifies for an application for a carry permit.
The cost is $50. Class size is limited and registration is required. For information or to register, call 597-9931. Visit the Web site at hernandosportsmansclub.com.
Applicants sought for housing committee
The Hernando County Commission is accepting applications from those interested in volunteering on the new Hernando County Affordable Housing Advisory Committee.
The committee is to be made up of 11 members, each active in the specific backgrounds as follows:
• Residential home building industry, in connection with affordable housing.
• Banking or mortgage banking industry in connection with affordable housing.
• Representative of those areas of labor in home building, in connection with affordable housing.
• Advocate for low-income individuals in connection with affordable housing.
• For-profit provider of affordable housing.
• Nonprofit provider of affordable housing.
• Real estate professional in connection with affordable housing.
• Active member serving on the local planning agency pursuant to s.163.3174.
• Resident living within the jurisdiction of the local governing body making the appointments.
• Representative of employers within the jurisdiction.
• A representative of essential services personnel, as defined in the local housing assistance plan (teachers and educators; other school district, community college and university employees; police and fire personnel, health care personnel, skilled building trade personnel and others who are employed and earn less than 120 percent of the area's median income).
The purpose of the committee is to every three years review established policies and procedures, ordinances, land development regulations and adopted local government comprehensive plan, and recommend specific actions or initiatives to encourage or facilitate affordable housing, while protecting the ability of the property to appreciate in value.
All are volunteer positions. Those interested must be Hernando County registered voters and residents.
Applications are available in the County Administrator's office, Room 460, Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville. Completed applications must be returned no later than 5 p.m. June 23.
For information, call 754-4002.
Filipino-American club to party at air base
The Filipino-American Social Club of Hernando County will sponsor their first Filipino-American Beach Party, starting at 11 a.m. June 28 at MacDill Air Force Base, off S Dale Mabry Highway.
There will be a potluck picnic, games and a variety of activities. Those with fishing rods and crab nets should bring them.
Those attending must register with the club beforehand. Also, the driver of each vehicle entering MacDill must have a valid photo ID.
For information or to register, call Roger Pescasio at 683-4751, Shella Dean at 686-7813, Nena Schwartz at (727) 376-0113, or Gigi Gerbolingo-Smith at 683-9423.