Host families needed for exchange students
The International Cultural Exchange Service is seeking local host families for exchange students from 20 countries who will be coming to the area for the upcoming school year.
Students are from 15 to 18 years old, speak English, are carefully interviewed and selected by their home countries and are sponsored by ICES, a nonprofit organization.
The purpose of the program is to allow the students to learn about this country through living as a part of a family, attending high school, and sharing their own culture and language with their newly-adopted family.
Those interested in being a host family can select the student of their choice from extensive student applications, family photos and biographical essays.
The students arrive five days before the beginning of the school year and return five days after the end of the school year.
Each ICES student is fully insured, brings his or her own spending money and expects to bear his or her share of household responsibilities.
For information, call the regional administrator Joan Soderqvist toll-free at 1-866-637-4073.
Visit the Web site at www.ices
Elks have tribute to Cline, show by Charo
Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 is selling season tickets for its 2008-09 dinner shows. The lineup includes:
• Oct. 11, Tribute to Patsy Cline, starring Leanne Williams. The show features Williams singing hits such as Crazy and I Fall to Pieces.
• Nov. 8, Mark Friedman and Rodi Alexander. Friedman performs on the piano, combined with comedy and impressions. His music varies from Broadway and rock 'n' roll to international favorites.
• Dec. 13, the Divas. This is a three-woman group with a four-piece band that performs disco, country classics, R&B, Broadway favorites and Top 10 dance hits. It features tributes to Aretha Franklin, Reba McEntire and Patsy Cline.
• Jan. 17, the Hubcaps. The group, which formed 32 years ago as Harvey Hubcap and the Do Ron Ron and evolved into the Fabulous Hubcaps, performs a "down memory lane" show with nostalgic music from the 1950s.
• Feb. 21, "Yesterday, A Tribute to the Beatles." This quartet entertains with vocals, stage mannerisms and costumes in tribute to the Beatles, the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly.
• March 14, Charo. With her trademark "cuchi, cuchi," the singer, comedian and musician has performed worldwide since the 1970s.
All shows will be at Elks Lodge 2520, 9135 Denton Ave. Dinner is at 6 p.m.; showtime is at 7:30.
Season tickets are $162 for prime seating, $150 for regular seating. Individual shows are $28 for prime seating, $26 for regular seating.
For information or reservations, stop by or call Judy between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays at (727) 868-2994, ext. 14.
Season tickets for Brookridge series
Brookridge Entertainment is selling season tickets to its 2008-09 shows.
The cost is $104 for eight shows:
• Oct. 9, the Mark and Clark Show
• Nov. 13, Jimmy Keys
• Dec. 11, Joey Dee and the Starliters
• Jan. 8, BeeHive
• Feb. 12, Greg Bonham
• March 12, Yesterday Beatles show
• April 9, Rodi Alexander and Mark Freidman
• May 14, Vic Thompkins Band
For information, call Barbara at 597-4620.
NEW PORT RICHEY
Charity fashion show lined up for June 16
The Alzheimer's Family Organization will present a Charity Luncheon Fashion Show at noon June 16 at Living Word Church, 5151 Rowan Road.
Fashions will be provided by Beall's Department Store in New Port Richey. Lunch will be provided by Carrabba's Italian Grill. There will also be door prizes, auctions and raffles.
Tickets are available for $25 each; those who purchase seven tickets will get the eighth one free. Tables of eight can be reserved.
For information or to purchase tickets, call the office at (727) 848-8888 or toll-free at 1-888-496-8004.