Kids, sign up now for golf camp in July
The Brooksville Recreation Department will host Golf Camp 4 Kids from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 21 to 24 at the Quarry Golf Course, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd.
The camp is for beginners and intermediate-level players ages 6 to 12. The cost is $60, which includes lunch each day and a shirt with initial registration.
After-care is available from 2 to 5:30 p.m. for an additional $12 for the week.
Adult volunteers who have golf experience are welcome.
For information, call 544-5498.
Film 'Arabian Nights' to be shown Tuesday
The Hernando County Green Party will show the film Arabian Nights at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
The classic 1942 film stars Jon Hall as the caliph of Baghdad.
The movie showing is part of the local Green Party's Green Screens, an ongoing series of free films on current issues. Additional movies include:
• War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death, July 8. Based on the bestselling novel of the same name, this 2007 documentary, narrated by Sean Penn, exposes a 50-year pattern of government deception.
• Blame it on Fidel, Aug. 5. This 2006 French film by Julie Gavras is about 9-year-old Anna (played by Nina Kervel), who struggles when her parents become radical political activists in Paris in the early 1970s.
• Panama Deception, Aug. 12. Touted by government officials as a police action to bring international drug dealer Gen. Manuel Noriega to justice, conspiratorialist filmmaker Barbara Trent's 1992 film documents the untold story of the December 1989 U.S. invasion of Panama, from the events that led to it to its devastating aftermath. The film, narrated by the late Elizabeth Montgomery, won the Academy Award for best documentary in 1993.
For information about Green Screens, call Suzanne at 666-7576.
Breakfast, blood drive and party at Elks
Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520, 9135 Denton Ave., will host the following events:
• Monthly breakfast, 8:30 a.m. to noon July 6. There will be a menu of breakfast foods that are cooked to order. Prices vary from $2 to $4.50 per person, which includes coffee and hot tea. Call the lodge at (727) 863-2520.
• Blood drive with Florida Blood Services, 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. July 12. Blood donors will receive recognition gift items. Those donating should check in with Mary Ann in the lounge upon arriving. Call Mary Ann Steffes at 686-5842.
• Lounge Beach Party, 6 p.m. July 19. Music will be provided by the Twist. Admission is free. There will be prizes for the best beach wear, sexiest legs (both men and women) and other contests. Food will be available. Those interested may sign up with Chris to "dunk" exalted ruler Wayne Getz in the dunk tank. All proceeds will go to the Florida Elks Youth Camp in Umatilla. For information or to sign up to dunk the exalted ruler, call Chris at (727) 863-2520.
Workshop to teach permanent weight loss
The Foundation for Wellness Professionals will offer a free workshop, "5 Secrets to Permanent Weight Loss," from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Monday at Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave.
The speaker will be Mary Bristow, acupuncture physician and doctor of Oriental medicine. Participants will learn why diets alone don't work and how to lose weight and keep it off.
Space is limited, and reservations are required. For information or to RSVP, call 799-1882.
Christian academy to hold basketball camps
Two Coach Bill Brooks Basketball Camps will be held in July at Hernando Christian Academy, 7200 Emerson Road. The first will be July 17-23 and the second July 24-30.
For each session, the camp will be from noon to 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, then from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
The camp will include skills tests, two full-court games daily, a three-on-three tournament and an all-star game on the final day. Also, a pizza party for all campers will be on the final day.
Cold drinks will be provided daily, and there will be daily door prize drawings. Campers should wear a shirt, shorts and tennis shoes, and will have to bring their lunch on days the camp will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Campers are not to bring basketballs; balls will be provided.
The cost is $80, which includes a T-shirt. Call Brooks at 684-4006.
Reception for artist Marilyn Clifford set
A wine and cheese reception for artist Marilyn Clifford will be from 7 to 9 p.m. July 2 at Easy Street Home Decor, 838 E Jefferson St.
Clifford, from Reading, Pa., has a master's degree in textiles and clothing from Cornell University, where she also minored in fine art. She taught for 25 years before retiring to Spring Hill in 1993 and returned to her love of painting, concentrating in watercolors. Clifford has studied under several local teachers and exhibits her work in local art shows.
The free reception is co-hosted by Easy Street and the Spring Hill Art League.
For information, call Easy Street Home Decor at 848-0177 or go to www.springhillartleague.com.