Libraries hosting film, workshops, games
The Hernando County Public Library System will host the following programs and events:
• Writing workshop, 1 to 2 p.m. Wednesday, East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road. This is a free workshop that will include writing exercises and positive critique. No registration is required.
• Showing of National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets, 2 p.m. Thursday, Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. Treasure hunter Benjamin Franklin Gates is back and determined to discover the truth behind Abraham Lincoln's assassination by uncovering the mystery within the 18 pages missing from assassin John Wilkes Booth's diary. The film, rated PG, stars Nicolas Cage, Justin Bartha, Diane Kruger and Jon Voight. Light refreshments will be served. There is no cost or registration required.
• Teen Game Day, 2 to 4 p.m. June 27, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill. Youth ages 12 to 17 are invited to play video game such as Rockband, Guitar Hero and Wii games. Participants can enter a drawing to win an iPod Nano. The drawing will be at 4 p.m. (must be present to win). The program is free and no registration is required.
For information, call 540-6391.
Alzheimer's caregivers can get training
The Alzheimer's Association — Florida Gulf Coast Chapter will present caregiver training for those who are caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's or dementia.
Workshops will be from 2 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays, July 15 through Aug. 5 in the Aspen building at Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail.
The workshops are:
• July 15, Communicating with the Person with Alzheimer's Disease. The speaker is program specialist Jerry Fisher of the Alzheimer's Association.
• July 22, Alzheimer's Disease. The speaker is Dr. Jimmy Edmond of GeriCares who specializes in geriatric medicine.
• July 29, Grief, Loss and End of Life Care. The speaker is registered nurse Lori Erceg of Hernando-Pasco Hospice.
• Aug. 5, Legal and Financial Issues. The speaker is attorney Gregory Gay of the Law Offices of Gay & Ehrhardt, P.A.
There is no cost to participate in the caregiver training. For information or to reserve a spot, call 688-4537.
SPCA gives discount for adopt-a-cat month
As part of the American Humane Association's adopt-a-cat month, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Hernando County is offering a discount on the adoption fee for older cats through the end of June.
The fee for cats 3 years and older is $29. Also, each adopted family will receive a "cat care" package.
Those who cannot adopt can volunteer or make a donation to the local SPCA, a nonprofit, no-kill shelter.
The shelter, at 9075 Grant St., west of Brooksville is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily (closed on holidays). Adoption fees include rabies shot, heartworm testing, worming and spaying/neutering. Fees for cats also include testing for feline leukemia and AIDS. For more information go to www.spcahernando.org or call 596-7000.
Youth festival gives kids summer fun
The first Summer Youth Festival is planned for 4 to 8 p.m. July 12 at the Hernando Park band hell, 205 E Fort Dade Ave.
The free event will include food, displays and a full performance by Strength of the Young, including positive hip-hop, drum performances by Blast, competitions, give-aways, a DJ, skits and youth speakers who will address real issues affecting kids today.
The event is sponsored by the Hernando County Community Anti-Drug Coalition and the Hernando County Sheriff's Office, in conjunction with the Hernando County Fine Arts Council.
For information, call 596-8000 or go to www.hernandoantidrug.org.
Youth soccer program schedules 5-day camp
First Hernando Youth Soccer will offer its annual Major League Soccer Camp July 21- 25 at the Anderson Snow Soccer Complex off Anderson Snow Road.
The camp is for U5 players and older. A goalkeeper camp is also available for U8 players and older.
For details, call toll-free 1-800-680-6272, or visit online at mlscamps.com. Camp brochures are available at firsthernandosoccer.com.
AARP schedules picnic at botanical gardens
The AARP Hernando County Chapter 1026 will host a picnic at noon Tuesday at the Nature Coast Botanical Gardens, 1489 Parker Ave.
The picnic will be catered by Honeybaked Ham Co. and Cafe, with a complete box lunch available for $6, which must be prepaid before the meeting. There are several menu choices available.
There will be a tour of the various specialized gardens and, at 1 p.m., horticulture agent Jim Moll of the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service will talk about gardening in Florida. Free seeds will be given out.
To obtain lunch menu choices, to pay or to get other information, call Bob at 596-0722 or Jill at 678-5719.
AARP lists courses for 50-and-over drivers
The AARP Driver Safety Program is a refresher course for drivers ages 50 and older. The cost is $10.
The course will be offered at the following Hernando County locations in July:
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 16 and 23, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Call 683-8594 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 11 and 18, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Call 797-7497 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m. July 22 and 24, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd. Call 683-8594 to register.