County seeking people to serve on boards
The Hernando County Commission is accepting applications from residents interested in volunteering on the following boards:
• Fine Arts Council — Four positions are available.
• Personnel Advisory Board — One position is available for an employee representative, and another for a lay person.
• Tourist Development Council — Two positions are available, including one representative involved in tourism not collecting the tourist tax and one tourist enterprise representative who is collecting the tax.
All applicants must be Hernando County residents and registered voters.
Applications are available in the county administrator's office, Room 263, Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., as well as on the website at hernandocounty.us/bocc/ committee.htm. Applications must be returned to the office no later than 5 p.m. Friday.
For information, call (353) 754-4002.
City needs to fill spots on advisory boards
The Brooksville City Council is accepting applications from residents interested in volunteering on the following advisory boards:
• Beautification Board — Two positions to fill expiring four-year terms through Dec. 31, 2015; one vacant position to fill an unexpired term through Dec. 31 this year.
• Cemetery Advisory Committee — One position to fill an expiring four-year term through Dec. 31, 2015. Applicants must be city residents or have a documented tie to the Brooksville Cemetery.
• Good Neighbor Trail — One vacant, nonexpiring position. There is no term of office for appointed members, who serve through the completion of the implementation of the Good Neighbor Trail and Trailhead management plan.
• Parks and Recreation Advisory Board — One alternate position to fill an expiring four-year term through Dec. 31, 2015.
• Planning and Zoning Commission — Three positions and one alternate position to fill expiring four-year terms through Dec. 31, 2015. Also, there is one vacant alternative position to fill an unexpired term through Dec. 31, 2013. Applicants must be city residents.
Applicants for all positions must be registered Florida voters.
To apply for any of the positions, an application form must be completed with an authorization for a background check. Applications are available in the city clerk's office at City Hall, 201 Howell Ave., and must be returned no later than 5 p.m. Dec. 2. Applications are also available online at cityof brooksville.us/forms. For information, call (352) 540-3810.
Plan now to attend Christmas Party
Korean War Veterans Legion 5053 and Ladies Auxiliary will host their annual Christmas Party Dec. 11 at VFW Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive.
Doors open at 1:30 p.m. A buffet dinner will be at 3 p.m., catered by Sioux City Catering. The main entrees will be roast turkey and baked ham with pear sauce. Dessert is cheesecake with strawberry sauce.
Music for dancing will be provided by the Key Note Band from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. There will be door prizes and a cash bar available.
Tickets are $20 each and must be purchased in advance. Table reservations for eight or more may be made. Call Rich at (352) 688-7196.
Learn to prevent home foreclosure at session
U.S. Rep. Rich Nugent, R-Spring Hill, will host a Home Foreclosure Prevention Workshop from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 19 at Central High School, 14075 Ken Austin Parkway.
Participants will learn about steps to take to avoid foreclosure and mortgage scams, programs available to homeowners who are in default or foreclosure, and the loan modification process. They will have an opportunity to speak directly with their financial institutions. There will also be panel discussions regarding the loan modification and foreclosure process with counselors and agencies.
The workshop is free, but registration is required by Thursday. Call Nugent's office at (352) 799-8354 or go to nugent.house.gov.