Reception showcases work of local artists
An art reception featuring the works of four local artists will be from 5 to 7 p.m. July 29 at the Rising Sun Cafe, 10 S Main St.
The artists include:
• Evie Harper, a self-taught artist who re-creates the creatures that inhabit the Weeki Wachee coastline through one-of-a-kind wood and clay sculptures.
• Julie Komenda, who for more than 30 years has been practicing batik, an ancient, wax-resistant form of imaging on fabric. She uses recycled materials whenever possible. Subjects include nature, mermaids, the environment and sports figures.
• Christine Ann Morana, an award-winning photographer and Spring Hill native. She recently placed second in photography at the Spring Hill Art League's 35th annual Fall Harvest of Art exhibition.
• Lynn Simone, who works primarily in pastels, realistically capturing her subjects' likeness and personality through layers of vivid color. She specializes in animal portraits. Simone is currently the publicity chairwoman for the Spring Hill Art League.
There is no cost to attend the reception. Coffee and cookies will be served. The artists' works will remain on display at the restaurant through the end of August.
Donations of canned goods to be given to Love Your Neighbor will be accepted. For information, call (352) 848-0090.
Retro dance features '70s and '80s music
The Filipino-American Social Club of Hernando and Pasco counties will host the annual "Saturday Night Fever: Disco Dance — Retro Style" from 5 to 10 p.m. Aug. 15 at Regency Park Civic Center, 10240 Regency Park Blvd.
Entertainment will be provided by DJ Willie with Exclusive New York DJ Entertainment, featuring music from the 1970s and '80s.
This is a potluck event; those attending are asked to bring a dish to share. Dress is retro.
Tickets are $12; children 12 and younger are admitted free. Call Shella Dean at (352) 666-5227, Clovis Cayunda at (352) 686-5519, Nena Schwartz at (727) 992-5492 or Glyen Terborg at (727) 376-3680.
Tickets available for Truck Night Explosion
The Hernando Builders Association will host its annual Truck Night Explosion at 6 p.m. Aug. 22 at Heffernan Hall at St. Anthony Catholic Church, 20428 Cortez Blvd.
Prizes will be awarded throughout the night, with values ranging from $50 to the final grand prize — a choice of a new truck or $10,000 cash.
Tickets are $50 each, which includes dinner for two and entry in the reverse drawing to win the grand prize. Only 450 tickets will be sold, and ticket holders must also RSVP to attend, but need not be present to win prizes.
Sponsorships for the event are available and range from $25 to $200. Funds raised will benefit the Arc Nature Coast.
For tickets or information, call the association office at (352) 596-1114.
Older drivers can take refresher course
The AARP Driver Safety Program is a refresher course for drivers 50 and older. The cost is $12 for members and $14 for nonmembers; members should bring their AARP cards. The course will be offered at the following locations:
• Noon to 4 p.m. Aug. 18 and 20, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 19 and 26, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd., behind Oak Hill Hospital. Call (352) 683-6840 to register.