Mostly Cloudy68° WeatherMostly Cloudy68° Weather

Carbon monoxide from generator sickens three people at Largo Mall

Largo

Toxic fumes sicken 3 people at Largo Mall

Firefighters evacuated three businesses at Largo Mall early Tuesday afternoon and treated three people for exposure to carbon monoxide from a generator being used inside one of the units. The firefighters were called to the scene by an employee of Brite Now Dental at unit No. 210 who said people there were suffering from headaches. The caller saw a man on the ground in front of an adjacent unit, No. 214, at the mall at 10500 Ulmerton Road. "He was outside laying on the ground when we got there," said Largo fire Chief Michael Wallace. Unit No. 214, which is vacant, had recently lost power after an electrical short circuit. Someone was using a gas-powered generator inside the storefront on Tuesday, Wallace said. Fire officials found high levels of carbon monoxide in that business and lesser levels in two neighboring units. All three were evacuated. Readings at a nearby Target showed no fumes.

Man charged with sex battery on girl

A 52-year-old Largo man was arrested Sunday night and accused of molesting a preteen girl about 26 years ago. Kevin D. Johnston of 457 36th St. SE was charged with sexual battery on a child less than 12 years old. He was being held at Pinellas County Jail in lieu of $50,000 bail. Johnston knew the girl and there's no indication that he molested anyone else, said Largo police Sgt. Andy Hill. He said the sexual battery occurred around January 1984. Police say Johnston was about 26 when he inappropriately touched a girl who was 10 or 11.

PALM HARBOR

3-year-old remains in critical condition

A 3-year-old boy who was found unresponsive in a backyard pool on Sunday evening remains in critical condition, hospital officials said Tuesday afternoon. Tryston B. Sierra of Holiday was flown to All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg after he flipped over in a child's float device and nearly drowned. His mother, Desiree Sierra, was visiting friends at 3420 Dove Hollow Court. Tryston and other children were in the pool as parents watched, deputies said. Palm Harbor paramedics were able to restore the boy's pulse before he was taken to the hospital.

Man pulled from pool still at Mease

A man who was unconscious when he was pulled from a community pool Monday morning remains in critical condition at Mease Countryside Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday. Nathan Lemmerman, 77, was pulled out of the pool by residents at Highland Lakes, a 55-plus community at 3300 MacGregor Drive. The residents called 911 and performed CPR until Palm Harbor Fire Rescue paramedics arrived around 11:45 a.m.

Carbon monoxide from generator sickens three people at Largo Mall 06/15/10 [Last modified: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:32pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...