Census Day is April 1. Hernando County residents are reminded to complete and mail back their 2010 census forms. The census form asks 10 questions and takes about 10 minutes to complete.
The U.S. Constitution requires a national census once every 10 years to count the population and determine the number of seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives. Also, the count is used to determine boundaries for state and local legislative and congressional districts and to determine federal funding allocations to state and local governments. This funding is used for community services, such as school lunch programs, senior citizen centers and new highway construction.
For information, visit online at www.2010.census.gov, call Hernando County Planning Department at (352) 754-4057 or the local census office toll-free at 1-866-861-2010.
To assist residents with the 2010 census questionnaires, Questionnaire Assistance Centers are available at various sites throughout Hernando County:
• Hernando County Airport, 15800 Flight Path Drive, south of Brooksville. 2 to 5 p.m. weekdays.
• Jericho Road Ministries Wiscon Thrift Store, 16479 Wiscon Road, Brooksville. 9 a.m. to noon weekdays.
• Rock Cannery Library Station, 15487 Citrus Way, Brooksville. 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
• Withlacoochee Bicentennial Hall, 16257 Lingle Road, Istachatta. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
• East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West. Noon to 8 p.m. Tuesdays; 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
• Jericho Road Ministries Sunrise Plaza Thrift Store, 31170 Cortez Blvd., east of Brooksville. 9 a.m. to noon weekdays.
• Brooksville Wesleyan Church, 8168 Jasmine Drive, Brooksville. 1 to 4 p.m. weekdays.
• First Baptist Church, 420 Howell Ave., Brooksville. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays; 9 a.m. to noon Fridays.
• First Presbyterian Church, 250 Bell Ave., Brooksville. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays.
• Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Noon to 8 p.m. Monday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays.
• Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays.
• South Brooksville Neighborhood Association, 1203 E Jefferson St., Brooksville. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays.
• First United Methodist Church, 109 S Broad St., Brooksville. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays; 9 a.m. to noon Fridays.
• South Brooksville Community Center, 601 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
• Brooksville City Hall, 201 Howell Ave. 2 to 5 p.m. weekdays.
• Grace World Outreach Church, 20366 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays.
• Jericho Road Ministries Food Pantry, 1163 Howell Ave., Brooksville. 9 a.m. to noon weekdays.
• Vision Temple Ministries, 715 Daniel Ave., Brooksville. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays.
• Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. Noon to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
• Jericho Road Ministries Winchester Plaza Thrift Store, 5260 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. 9 a.m. to noon weekdays.
• West Hernando/Staffordene T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill. Noon to 8 p.m. Mondays; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays.
• Christian Church in the Wildwood, 10051 Country Road, Weeki Wachee. 9 a.m. to noon weekdays.