Chinsegut offers many programs, events
Chinsegut Nature Center will offer the following programs and events in January:
• Chinsegut Winter Birding Hike, 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 12. Bring binoculars and a bird book, if possible.
• New Volunteer Orientation, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 16. Learn what volunteer opportunities are available at the nature center. A short hike will be included. Snacks and drinks provided; bring a lunch.
• Creating Backyard Wildlife Habitat, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Jan. 29.
• Chainsaw safety training and demonstrations, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Provided by Amslers Inc. For details on the program, call Amslers at (352) 796-0802.
All programs are at the nature center, 23212 Lake Lindsey Road, north of Brooksville. For information or reservations, call (352) 754-6722.
Men's Flag Football League starts Jan. 8
Hernando County Recreation is signing up players and teams for the Men's Flag Football League, which will be on Friday evenings starting Jan. 8.
Games will be played at Veterans Memorial Park and Anderson Snow Park.
The league is open to men 18 and older. The cost is $275 per team. All rosters and fees must be received by Jan. 4. For information, call (352) 754-4031.
VFW auxiliary hosts breakfast Dec. 27
The Men's Auxiliary of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9236 will host a breakfast from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Dec. 27 at the post, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd.
The meal includes scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, toast, juice, biscuits and gravy, and coffee. The cost is $6. For information, call (352) 596-9236.
Technical Institute classes begin Jan. 6
Withlacoochee Technical Institute is accepting applications for a variety of classes that will start in January at the institute, 1201 W Main St.
Classes that will start Jan. 6 include: Air Conditioning, Refrigeration and Heating Technology; Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing; Automotive Services Technology; Carpentry; Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts; Computer Systems Technology; Early Childhood Education (call 352-726-2430, ext. 262, to schedule an orientation date); Electricity/Electrician program and Industrial Machinery Maintenance.
Classes starting Jan. 12 include the Nail Specialty and Nursing Assistant programs. A Cosmetology program will start Feb. 8 and a Patient Care Assistant program will start March 1.
For course details, costs and registration, call (352) 726-2430.
Enjoy dinner and a show at Elks Lodge
Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 is taking reservations for the following dinner shows at the lodge, 9135 Denton Ave. All shows will have dinner at 6 p.m. and showtime at 7:30 p.m.
• Robin Roth on Jan. 9. Described as a "singer extraordinaire with a comic flair," Roth includes comedy and sings a variety of musical styles, such as classics, standards, swing, Broadway, pop, jazz and today's hits.
• Jay White pays tribute to Neil Diamond on Feb. 20. White, who performs often as Diamond at the Riviera Hotel Casino in Las Vegas, appeared as Diamond in the 2008 film Frost/Nixon.
• The Marlins on March 13. This is a family of musicians that performs country, rock, pop, big band and bluegrass, performing songs from the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Willie Nelson, Glenn Miller, Neil Diamond, Elvis, Sinatra and others.
Tickets are $30 for prime seating and $28 for regular seating. For information or for reservations, call Judi in the secretary's office (9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays) at (727) 868-2994, ext. 14.