Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Clearwater man tries to meet underage girl, finds undercover cop


'Underage girl' was really an undercover cop

A 35-year-old Clearwater man was arrested Tuesday afternoon after he arranged a sexual rendezvous with an undercover detective who was posing as a teenage girl, authorities said. Robert Mark Hall, who lives on Roosevelt Boulevard, was charged with traveling to meet a minor and prohibited use of a computer. He was being held at the Pinellas County Jail on $15,000 bail. Detectives began investigating Hall in June after he posted a local ad on Craigslist, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. Over the course of two weeks, Hall sent "inappropriate messages … soliciting sexual favors" to an undercover detective online pretending to be a 14-year-old girl. On Monday, Hall arranged to meet the Internet persona at a local park, the Sheriff's Office said. He was taken into custody when he arrived.


Charity contest to feature wings

Buffalo Wild Wings, 4058 Tampa Road, and the Holiday Sharing Fund are hosting a chicken wing eating contest Saturday. The contest is between Pinellas County sheriff's deputies and Oldsmar and Safety Harbor fire rescue personnel. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., 10 percent of the restaurant's proceeds will go to local police and fire charities. The deputies chose a fallen Pinellas County officers' charity and the fire departments chose Oldsmar Cares and Maddie's House. Winners get 51 percent of the money for their charity; the other team gets 49 percent. Wing eating is at 2 p.m. The two judges are Oldsmar Mayor Jim Ronecker and Safety Harbor Mayor Andy Steingold. There will also be face painting and balloon artists for kids.

North Pinellas

Space available for monthly yard sales

The public and food vendors are invited to participate in monthly yard sales hosted by Antiques & Uniques. The sales are held every third Saturday at both of the antique mall's locations: 530 Alt. US 19 in Palm Harbor and 303 Orange St. in Ozona. Limited space is available to set up and sell items in the shops' shaded back yards. Cost is $25. To reserve a spot, call (727) 216-6216. The next sale is 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 21.


Old Blue Jays gear finds new home

Baseball memorabilia bearing the Blue Jays' old logo have found a new home in the Dominican Republic. With the help of the Canadian Embassy, nearly 2,000 pounds of brand new clothes, hats, pens, toys, and more was distributed to child orphanages and elsewhere throughout the country. The donations were made possible after the Toronto and Dunedin Blue Jays unveiled a new logo in November, stripping the old items of their retail value in the United States and Canada. The organization says it has long supported the Dominican Republic, the birthplace of many of the teams' past and present players.

Clearwater man tries to meet underage girl, finds undercover cop 07/03/12 [Last modified: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:18pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours