girl killed by mom
to say goodbye to Kassidie Rae McMillin, 10. Many mourners wore purple, her favorite color.
City tweaks fees for reclaimed water, trash
That $20 reclaimed water "availability fee" on your monthly utility bill? It will cost $11 starting in October, the City Council voted Thursday. But don't jump with joy just yet. Every 1,000 gallons of reclaimed water will cost 93 cents, instead of 62 cents, and water and wastewater rates will jump 4.5 percent every year through 2015. Recycling will cost a tiny bit more, too — about 8 cents more a month. The bumps on your bill, officials said, will help pay for water system improvements and increased fuel costs for the city fleet. The availability fee is levied on homes near a reclaimed water line, even if the residents don't use it. One good note: Rate hikes planned for solid waste were canceled through 2016. Why? The city, perhaps because of the economic downturn, is throwing away less trash.
Events highlight Safe Boating Week
The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary kicks off National Safe Boating Week with family-friendly events Saturday.
Flotilla 11-1, Clearwater
• 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday: Free boat examinations and information on safe boating and classes will be offered at the Seminole boat ramp, 198 Seminole St.
Flotilla 11-9, Tarpon Springs
• 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday: Tour the Coast Guard's 47-foot lifeboat and get a schedule of boating classes at the Sponge Docks.
• 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday: Boat examinations at Anclote River Park boat ramp, 1119 Baillie's Bluff Road, Holiday.
• 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday: A safety booth will be inside West Marine, 41286 U.S. 19 N, Tarpon Springs. Vessel inspections will be outside.
Flotilla 11-10, Dunedin area
• 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday: Visit a safety tent at the Palm Harbor Library, 2330 Nebraska Ave.
• 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday: Free boat safety examinations at Caladesi Island State Park.
• 7-9 p.m. Tuesday: The Coast Guard safety course Suddenly In Command will be offered at the law firm of Florin Roebig, 777 Alderman Road, Palm Harbor.
For more information on these events, call (727) 741-7416.
Adult mentors needed for kids
Gulf Coast Community Care is looking for volunteers to help with its Adults Mentoring Children program. Mentors spend a few hours a month sharing activities with a child age 3 to 15. Activities might include arts and crafts, sports or simply active listening. Training is provided and no experience is necessary. For information, call (727) 479-1841.
Note to readers
Real estate transactions do not appear in today's section because of space constraints. They will run in Sunday's Clearwater & North Pinellas Times.
Detailed obituaries appear in the Tampa Bay section.