Take a stroll on Church street for Christmas
Church Street Christmas, a Dade City tradition that began 31 years ago, will continue this year from 6 to 9 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Visitors can stroll down the brick pavers of Church Avenue, and enjoy the beautifully decorated homes, hundreds of luminarias, strolling Dickens Carolers, choral groups and soloists, complimentary hot beverages, a live nativity scene, and much more. Musical entertainment will be featured in each block. This complimentary, non-commercial event is sponsored by the residents of Church Avenue, neighbors, friends, and businesses in our community. For information, visit www.churchstreetchristmas.com or call Steve Smith at (813) 714-3674.
Holidays will close county offices
Pasco County government offices, including the constitutional offices and the courts, will be closed Friday in observance of Christmas. The Tax Collector's Office, which will close at 4 p.m. Thursday, will remain closed Friday and Saturday. All offices will reopen on Dec. 28, at their regularly scheduled times. Other services are on the following holiday schedules:
• Transit: There will be no bus service Friday. Pasco County Public Transportation will resume on Saturday on the Saturday schedule. For information call (727) 834‑3322 for west Pasco and (352) 521‑4587 for east Pasco.
• Libraries: All Pasco County branches will close at 5 p.m. Thursday and remain closed Friday and Saturday. They will reopen at regular times Dec. 29.
• Gathering spots: County recreation complexes will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, then closed on Friday. Regular hours will resume Saturday. County community centers will also be closed Friday.
• Animal control: Closed on Friday, but an officer will be on 24-hour standby for emergencies. The shelter will be open from noon to 4:30 p.m. Saturday; administrative offices will reopen at 8 a.m. Dec. 28.
• Waste services: The Resource Recovery Facility in Shady Hills and the East Pasco Transfer Station will be closed Friday. Both will reopen Saturday.
CARES offers computer classes
Do you want to learn how to use a computer or brush up on your skills? The CARES (Community Aging and Retirement Services, Inc.) Elfers Center at 4136 Barker Drive, is offering several computers classes next month. Computer I (for beginners) will be covered in three sessions, from 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 5-7. Computer II (intermediate) will run from 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 12-14. The fee for each three-day course is $33 and includes a student manual written by a professional technical writer for the CARES Elfers Center. A one-day class on e-mail basics will also be offered from 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 20, at a cost of $11. For information or to sign up, call (727) 847-1290.