Driver accused of leaving accident scene
A Hudson man who troopers said had been driving while intoxicated was arrested Thursday. They said fled the scene of a crash that sent two motorcyclists to the hospital, officials said. Michael Andrew Del-Freo, 42, was charged with driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident with serious bodily injury. Del-Freo was pulling out of a Sonoco gas station at 14316 U.S. 19, just before 11:45 p.m., when he drove into the path of a motorcycle, troopers said. The motorcycle collided with the driver's side door of Del-Freo's Kia sedan, officials said. Gary S. Thomas, 62, and Janet M. Nash, 48, were thrown from the motorcycle into the street. Neither was wearing a helmet, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. But Del-Freo didn't stick around to see if the two motorcyclists were okay, officials said. He drove to his home at 14019 Shoal Drive, where he was arrested. Thomas and Nash were taken to Bayonet Point Medical Center, where they remained in critical condition. A breath-alcohol test showed Del-Freo had a concentration level of 0.148 to 0.153 — nearly twice the 0.08 level at which the state presumes a driver to be impaired.
Schools offer events next week
Catholic Schools Week will be celebrated next week in schools throughout the country. A variety of student activities are planned at local schools, but the public is also welcome to learn more about Catholic education at two events.
• Bishop Larkin Catholic School will host an open house from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday at 8408 Monarch Drive, Port Richey. For information go to www.bishoplarkin.org or call (727) 862-6981.
• St. Anthony School will host an open house from 9 to 11 a.m. Thursday at 32902 Saint Anthony Way, San Antonio. For information call (352) 588-3041.
• The transition from caterpillar to butterfly can create quite a stir in any corner of your world. Diggin' Florida Dirt, Page 3
• Veterans Memorial Park offers a new event for radio control airplane enthusiasts to take flight. Story, Page 4
Note to readers
For the latest crime listings visit pasco.tampabay.com and select "Weekly crime report."
• The Iwo Jima remembrance and veterans benefits seminar will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Regency Residence retirement community, 6711 Embassy Blvd. in Port Richey. Due to incorrect information provided to the Times, an item in Friday's paper gave the wrong date.
• The addition to St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church is 1,200 square feet. An article Friday gave an incorrect figure.