Amputees group plans event at Aquarium
Amputees Across America, a group of amputees making a transcontinental bike ride for the 10th consecutive year, will appear Monday at Clearwater Marine Aquarium for a HealthSouth Largo reception and fundraiser. Tickets are $12 and benefit amputee awareness. Tickets include admission to the aquarium at 249 Windward Passage. The event, which begins at 4:30 p.m., features food and drinks and an appearance by Winter the Dolphin. Jake Bainter, an inspiring 11-year-old amputee, will be a special guest. For information, call (727) 588-3405.
Free activities offered at libraries
Clearwater public libraries are hosting a variety of free summer reading activities through the summer. Highlights for the upcoming week include:
• "Capowhat" Show, 2 p.m. Wednesday, East Library, 2251 Drew St.: This interactive show highlights capoeira, a Brazilian art form that combines martial arts, sports and music.
• Kids' Chess Club, 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Countryside Library, 2741 State Road 580: Learn to play chess. Bring your own board.
• Make a Piñata Workshop, 2 p.m. Thursday, East Library: Learn to make easy piñatas out of cereal boxes. Groups larger than 10 must register in advance.
• Liang Acrobatic & Comedy Show with comedian Bill Patti, 3 p.m. Thursday, North Greenwood Library, 905 N. MLK Jr. Ave.: Acrobat Liang performs plate spinning, head balancing, Chinese yo-yo and hula hoops.
• Create Your Own Fun Fridays, 2:30 p.m. Friday, North Greenwood Library: Legos, coloring pages, drawing, board games, cards, books and the Nintendo Wii will be available in the program room.
• Hire Me!, 1 p.m. Saturday, Countryside Library: Teen secrets to getting a job. Program focuses on career and job skills. Registration is required.
• My Voice, 2 p.m. Saturday, Clearwater Main Library, 100 N. Osceola Ave.: Practice writing skills and learn new techniques.
'Splashtime' for kids on Monday
Parents and caregivers can enjoy the company of others Monday while their children ages 5 and younger enjoy the cool waters of the splash area at Highland Recreation Complex. "Itty Bitty Splashtime" starts at 9:45 a.m. at the complex, 400 Highland Ave. NE. Admission is $1.50, or free for kids 2 and under. Call (727) 518-3016.
Sunday film series continues today
"Heart and Soul Cinema," a Sunday afternoon film series at the Safety Harbor Library, has a short introduction before the film and a discussion afterward. It's free. This month's feature is Unconditional Love, starring Kathy Bates, Rupert Everett, and Lynn Redgrave. It starts at 1:30 p.m. today at the library, 101 Second St. N. Call (727) 724-1525.
Local tennis, golf and baseball notes. Page 4.