Former ally implicates CEO in 2010 W.Va. mine disaster

Beckley, W.Va.

Former ally implicates CEO in mine disaster

The chief executive at the time of the deadly 2010 mine explosion was implicated by a former longtime subordinate Thursday of ordering a widespread corporate practice of warning coal miners about surprise federal inspections. The allegation by David Hughart, former president of Massey Energy subsidiary White Buck Coal Co., came as he pleaded guilty to federal conspiracy charges. He admitted working to ensure miners at his company and other Massey mines were warned of inspections between 2000 and March 2010. Federal investigators have signaled they are working their way up the ladder to what experts say would be a rare prosecution of a major corporate executive. The Upper Big Branch mine disaster killed 29 workers.

Jackson, Miss.

Man charged in death of mayoral candidate

A 22-year-old man was charged with murder Thursday in the death of an openly gay candidate for mayor of Clarksdale, officials said. Lawrence Reed of Shelby is accused of killing Marco McMillian, 34, whose body was found Wednesday near a Mississippi River levee, the Coahoma County Sheriff's Office said Thursday. Officials had been searching for him for about 24 hours after his SUV was involved in a head-on collision. Reed was driving the SUV and McMillian was not in it, prompting the search. There was no indication of a possible motive.

Elsewhere

Las Vegas: Ammar Harris, 26, a self-described pimp, was arrested Thursday in Los Angeles, ending a manhunt that began Feb. 21 after a vehicle-to-vehicle shooting and fiery crash that killed three people on the Las Vegas Strip, police said.

Cape Canaveral: An unmanned private rocket carrying nearly 1,300 pounds of supplies and experiments is to launch at 10:10 a.m. today on a mission to the International Space Station.

Venezuela: President Hugo Chávez is fighting for his life while he continues to undergo treatment more than two months after his latest cancer surgery, Venezuela's vice president said Thursday.

Paris: French troops will stay in the West African country of Mali at least until July amid tougher-than-expected resistance from Islamic fighters, the Associated Press reported, despite earlier government promises of a quick pullout.

Times wires

Former ally implicates CEO in 2010 W.Va. mine disaster 02/28/13 [Last modified: Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:39pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...