Class creates winter landscapes for yards
A free horticulture class, "Colorful Wintertime Landscapes," will be presented at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
The program will be presented by urban horticulture agent Jim Moll with the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service.
No registration is required, but seating is limited. For information, call (352) 754-4433.
'Giving Tree' at all county libraries
The Hernando County Public Library System announced its Giving Tree at Your Library Program. Each of the county's library branches are collecting donations for various local organizations:
• Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville, is collecting donations for Mid-Florida Community Services' Head Start Program. New unwrapped toys for preschool-aged children are wanted such as race cars, dolls, tea sets, books, trucks, footballs, basketballs, teddy bears and dinosaurs.
• West Hernando/Staffordene T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill, is collecting donations for the Dawn Center. Items wanted include nonperishable foods, health and beauty products, towels, medium sized T-shirts and gift cards.
• Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive, is collecting donations for the Humane Society of the Nature Coast. Needed items include Purina Cat, Kitten or Puppy Chow, Pedigree adult dog food, cat litter and chew toys.
• East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West, is collecting items for Eastside Elementary School students. Wanted are new, unwrapped board games appropriate for elementary-age students.
Those interested in making donations are asked to bring items into their local branch library by Friday. For information, call (352) 540-6391.
Kids, try your skill at scoring free throws
Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582 will host the Elks National Free Throw "Hoop Shoot" contest Dec. 18 at the lodge, 14494 Cortez Blvd.
The contest is for boys and girls ages 8 to 13. Contenders will try their skill at making baskets and earn a chance to compete in the district competition. Hot dogs and soda will be available.
Volunteers are needed to help as line referees and score keepers. For details, call the lodge at (352) 596-2582.
Shopping event will support Dawn Center
Empowered Women in Networking will host a Holiday Shopping Event from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Suncoast Villa Apartment Clubhouse, 3454 Suncoast Villa Way.
There will be numerous vendors, gifts and raffles.
Proceeds benefit the Dawn Center, Hernando County's domestic and sexual violence shelter. For information, call (727) 271-1348.
Audubon annual bird count set for Friday
The Hernando Audubon Society will conduct its 31st annual Christmas Bird Count Friday throughout the county.
The count runs all day, but participants are free to join or leave as their schedules permit. Home feeder watchers are also needed.
Information collected from this annual event is used by Audubon scientists to determine bird population trends, and is also used in studies such as global warming, disease transmission and avian genetics.
Beginners are welcome. To sign up or for information, call Clay at (352) 592-4949.
Arc sets open house, Christmas dance
The Arc Nature Coast will host two events on Friday:
• Open House, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., on the Arc campus, 5283 Neff Lake Road, east of Brooksville. A complimentary lunch will be served. There will be music.
• Christmas Dance, 7 to 10 p.m., at West Hernando Middle School, 14325 Ken Austin Parkway, west of Brooksville. Admission is $3, which includes a gift, pizza, sodas and snacks. There will be a DJ and Santa will hand out gifts.
For information, call (352) 544-2322, ext. 109.