Friends of the Poor Walk needs volunteers
The Hernando-Citrus District of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul needs walkers, volunteers, pledges and corporate sponsors for its first Friends of the Poor Walk on Sept. 27 along the Suncoast Trail off Cortez Boulevard.
The local event is part of a national effort to raise funds for use in direct service to the poor. All funds raised locally will be used locally.
Individuals, community groups and corporations are encouraged to participate. For information, call (352) 688-3331 or visit online at www.svdpfriendsofthepoorwalk.org.
Sportsman's club offers firearm course
The Hernando Sportsman's Club will offer the NRA's home firearm safety course at 9 a.m. Saturday in the clubhouse at the club's range in the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area off Commercial Way, north of Weeki Wachee.
All equipment and materials will be provided. The course is about five hours, including range time. The class qualifies for an application for a carry permit.
The cost is $50. Class size is limited and registration is required. To obtain more information or to register, call (352) 597-9931. Visit the Web site at hernandosportsmansclub.com.
AARP lists driver safety course dates
The AARP Driver Safety Program is a refresher course for drivers ages 50 and older. The cost is $10.
The course will be offered at the following locations in September:
• Noon to 4 p.m. Sept. 5 and 8, Brooksville Enrichment Center, 670 S Broad St., Brooksville. Call (352) 684-9302 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 12 and 19, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m. Sept. 16 and 18, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 17 and 18, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 17 and 24, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital), Spring Hill. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
Orchestra, cash bar set for Knights dance
The Frankie Dee New York Orchestra will perform at a dance from 6 to 9 p.m. Sept. 6 at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 10470 Spring Hill Drive.
Tickets are $11 per person. Those attending can bring food and snacks. A cash bar will be available and door prizes will be awarded.
Tickets are $11 and can be purchased at the K of C Hall or by calling Mary at (352) 596-9486.