VARIETY SHOW BENEFIT: A benefit concert featuring the Country Clay Kirk Variety Show and Friends will be at 7 p.m. Saturday at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill.
Performing with Kirk will be Arthur Haywood, Mikey Bates, Morgin Nicole, Ashley Shannon and Danielle Pacifico.
The menu will include pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans and coleslaw. Tickets are $10, with proceeds going toward replacement of the post's air-conditioning units. Thieves recently destroyed the chain-link fence at the post and six air-conditioning units in order to steal the copper inside.
For information or tickets, call the VFW at (352) 796-0398. Tickets will be available at the door.
WORKSHOPS FOR SENIORS: The Encore Academy at Pasco-Hernando Community College will offer a variety of enrichment workshops in February at the PHCC Spring Hill Campus, 450 Beverly Court. The Encore Academy is a service of PHCC that provides educational opportunities to adults over the age of 50.
• Mousercize!, 10 a.m. to noon Feb. 1. This is an introduction to the joys of using a computer without feeling anxiety.
• How to Use Your Digital Camera, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 1. Includes the basics of camera operation, the placement and use of controls, downloading images once they're taken, and general photographic terms that will be helpful in exploring photography. This is a hands-on class, and students are to bring a digital camera.
• Introduction to Windows, 10 a.m. to noon Feb. 8. This hands-on course takes a unique approach to teaching the skills necessary to navigate and use the Windows operating system efficiently and confidently.
• How to Take Great Vacation Photos, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 8. Students develop skills to take photographs during their travels. Students are encouraged to bring their own vacation pictures to assess strengths and weaknesses.
• Computer Maintenance, 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 10. Students learn simple maintenance that can be done every two to four weeks to help keep a computer running smoothly.
• Write Your Life Story, 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 17. Students learn to take their memories and write them in a story.
• Economics for the Serious Voter, 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 17. Understand the balance between economic efficiency and justice in maintaining a democratic society. Students will gain insight into effective economic policymaking through the review of political history lessons.
• Hound and Heart, 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 24. Learn basic CPR and first aid for pets. Students will explore how to stabilize their pets before going to the vet.
All workshops are open to the community; membership in the Encore Academy is not required. The registration fee is $18 for each three-hour workshop and $12 for each two-hour workshop.
Registration deadlines are two days before workshop start dates.
For information, call toll-free 1-877-879-7422 or visit phcc.edu/encore.
FUNDRAISING YARD SALE AND CARWASH: The Central High School DECA Club will host a yard sale fundraiser from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at 10466 Noddy Tern Road, Weeki Wachee. Proceeds will benefit Kasey Kupcik, candidate for Florida state DECA president.Also, a carwash fundraiser will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 28 at Advance Auto Parts, 13427 Cortez Blvd. For information, call Michelle Venezia at (352) 398-9013.
YMCA OFFERS GUITAR LESSONS: Guitar lessons for all ages and levels are offered on Saturdays at the Hernando County Family YMCA, 1300 Mariner Blvd. Classes include basic reading, theory, jazz, blues, classical, flamenco, solo lead guitar and composition.
Classes are taught by professional guitarist and teacher Bob Webb. Several levels are available. The cost is $32 per month for facility members and $50 for program members. For details and schedules, call the Y at (352) 688-9622.
YOUTH BASKETBALL EVENT: St. Frances Cabrini Knights of Columbus Council 13209 will sponsor a basketball free throw contest at 10 a.m. Feb. 4 in the gym at Notre Dame Catholic School, 1095 Commercial Way, Spring Hill.
Boys and girls ages 10 to 14 are invited to participate in the local level of the competition of the national Knights of Columbus Free Throw Championship. Winners will progress to district and state competitions.
There is no cost to participate. Contestants are required to provide proof of age and written parental consent. For entry forms or information, call Paul Dellea at (352) 346-0227.
BENEFIT FASHION SHOW: The Women's Advisory Council for Brooksville Regional and Spring Hill Regional hospitals will host a "Go Red for Women and Heart Disease" fashion show at 6 p.m. Feb. 3 at Silverthorn Country Club, 4550 Golf Club Lane, Spring Hill.
The runway fashion show will be presented by La Boutique of Spring Hill. Hors d'oeuvres will be served.
Tickets are limited and are $30 each, available at La Boutique in Spring Hill and at Westover's Flowers and Gifts in Brooksville. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Crescent Community Clinic, which offers primary medical, dental and mental health services to uninsured adults ages 18 to 64 who meet the federal poverty guidelines.
For information, call (352) 754-3230 or send email to robin. [email protected]
HUMANE SOCIETY STORE NEEDS VOLUNTEERS: Volunteer opportunities are available at the Humane Society of the Nature Coast's ReTAIL and Adoption Center at Gulf View Square mall, 9409 U.S. 19, Suite 369. An orientation for prospective and existing volunteers will be provided at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 26 at the center.
Volunteers must be at least 18, be dependable, have good communication skills and offer a minimum of four consecutive hours at the store. Volunteers assist with the operation of the retail shop.
They are responsible for assisting clients, handling cash, stocking merchandise, light cleaning and other duties. Prior retail experience is helpful, but not required.
The center is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and Saturdays and from noon to 6 p.m. Sundays. For information, call the Humane Society's Brooksville shelter at (352) 796-2711 or visit humanerescue.org.
GUN AND KNIFE SHOW: The Hernando Sportsman's Club will host its annual Winter Gun and Knife Show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 28 and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 29 at the Hernando County Fairgrounds, 6436 S Broad St., Brooksville.
The show will feature new, used and antique firearms, knives and related accessories. Admission is $6; children 16 and younger will be admitted free, but must be accompanied by an adult. For information, call Randie at (352) 799-3605.