Tax collector offices closing
Hernando County Tax Collector offices will be closed from 8 to 10 a.m. Thursday for training purposes.
The offices are at the Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville, and at 7489 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. For information, call (352) 754-4180.
Breakfast to honor teachers, staff
Hernando County schoolteachers and support staff are invited to a Teacher Appreciation Breakfast from 6:30 to 8 a.m. Aug. 13 at the Wal-Mart Supercenter, 13300 Cortez Blvd.
Those attending will receive a free teacher's tool kit. Also, there will be raffles for numerous raffles, including more than $500 in Wal-Mart gift cards and gift cards to numerous area businesses including Red Lobster, Staples, Home Depot, Lowe's, IHOP, Chili's, Perkins, Tiger Lily Florist, Circuits gym for men and others.
Representatives from area businesses will also be on hand to answer questions, including Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union, Florida Department of Health, Hernando County Family YMCA and others.
For information, call Kathleen Reitz at (352) 797-7029 or Rhonda Turner at (352) 597-1985.
Help the kids get ready for school
Spring Hill Calvary Church of the Nazarene is seeking donations of school clothing/uniforms, school supplies and nonperishable food items for its Great Exchange, which will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 9 in the Family Center at the church, 235 Cobblestone Ave.
This is a back-to-school event where folks can bring their children to exchange up to five outfits. It is not required to bring clothing to receive some, but it is encouraged for those who can.
Those wishing to donate clean school clothes in good condition, new school supplies or food, can drop items off at the church from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 6 to 7:30 p.m. Sunday, from 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday and Aug. 8, and from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Volunteers are also needed for this event.
For information, call Alicia Thompson at (352) 397-5197.
County transportation agency meetings set
The Hernando County Metropolitan Planning Organization will conduct meetings for the following committees:
• Technical Advisory Committee, 1:30 p.m. Tuesday;
• Citizens Advisory Committee, 4 p.m. Tuesday;
• Transit Technical Committee, 2 p.m. Wednesday.
All meetings are open to the public. For information, call Dennis Dix at (352) 754-4057, ext. 28014 or e-mail email@example.com. Those with disabilities wishing to participate in any of these meetings should contact Alice Gura at least three days prior to the meetings. Call her at (352) 754-4002; those who are hearing impaired can call toll-free 1-800-676-3777.
Agenda items can be viewed online at www.hernandocounty.us/mpo.
Church offering some practical advice
Christian Church in the Wildwood will offer the following programs:
• Divorce Care, 7 p.m. Wednesdays, starting Aug. 27, in Building C, Room 204. The class will meet for 13 weeks. Childcare is available. The program is free. Visit online at www.divorcecare.org for details.
Prior to the class the church offers dinner from 5 to 6:15 p.m. in Building D (the dinner is free for first-time attendees), followed by workshop from 6:30 to 7 p.m. in Building B.
• Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Fridays, starting Sept. 19, in Building B. The cost for materials is $100 per family. Two free preview sessions will be offered at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 29 and Sept. 5. For details on the program, visit online at www.daveramsey.com.
Christian Church in the Wildwood is at 10051 Country Road. For information, call (352) 596-1388, ext. 810.
Brush up on driving skills with AARP
The AARP Driver Safety Program is a refresher course for drivers ages 50 and older. The cost is $10.
The course will be offered at the following Hernando County locations in August:
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 6 and 11, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m. Aug. 12 and 14, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Aug. 20 and 27, Spring Hill Enrichment Center. Call (352) 666-4044.
Softball tournament registering teams
Hernando County Recreation Department is now signing up teams for the Men's One Pitch Softball Tournament, which will be Aug. 9 (and Aug. 10, if needed) at Anderson Snow and Veterans Memorial parks. This is a double-elimination tournament.
The cost is $210 per team, which must be paid on or before Aug. 5. Teams must provide their own softballs (44 core/400 compression).
For information, call Hernando County Recreation at 754-4031.
Growing problem? Get answers
The Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service will offer a free class, "Why Landscapes Fail — Too Much, Too Little, Too Late," at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the satellite office in the Westside Government Center, 7479 Forest Oaks Blvd.
Additional classes at the site include:
• Aug. 12, Creating a Backyard Wildlife Habitat
• Aug. 19, Successful Vegetable Gardening in Florida
• Aug. 26, Fertilizing Appropriately
Registration is not required for these Tuesday classes. However, seating will be limited.
The Extension Service will also offer the following free programs at its office at 19490 Oliver St., Brooksville:
• Aug. 16, Successful Vegetable Gardening in Florida
• Aug. 23, The Shady Side of Your Landscape
Reservations for these Brooksville Saturday classes are needed due to limited space.
For information or to register for a class, call the Extension office at (352) 754-4433.