Contests, races, more at charity air show today
The Hernando Aero Modelers will present a Charity Air Show from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at the club field near the Cemex entrance on Ponce de Leon Boulevard, north of Brooksville. There will be fun-fly contests and races, demonstrations and models, including giant aerobatic and delta wing speedsters. Children will have a chance for hands-on piloting by using a "Buddy Box" control system. Refreshments will be available. A donation for parking will be requested. For information, call (352) 592-2568.
Last day to mark Founders Week
The city of Brooksville's Founders Week Celebration, which celebrates the city's 154th anniversary, concludes today with a full day of activities:
• Market on Main Street, downtown, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Brooksville Cycling Classic, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., starting at Liberty and Main streets; Liberty Street Kids Classic, 3:30 p.m. (registration begins at 2 p.m.).
• Art N' Market Walk, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., throughout downtown.
• Historic Downtown Walking Tour, hosted by author/storyteller Jerry Cowling, 10 a.m., starting at Easy Street Home Decor, 100 N Brooksville Ave.
• Heritage Museum Guided Tour, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., 601 Museum Court. $5.
• Book signing and presentation with photographer Carlton Ward Jr., 2 p.m., council chambers, City Hall, 201 Howell Ave.
• Brooksville Nights, 5 to 9 p.m., throughout downtown Brooksville.
Christmas program needs computers
The Christmas Angel Program of Hernando County is seeking donations of used, working computers, preferably with Windows XP or Windows 7. Also needed are printers and other computer equipment. All computers will be cleared of sensitive information. Also, donations of gift cards (for clothing and school supplies) as well as cash donations are welcome. The Christmas Angel Program is a nonprofit organization that assists children in need, including teens and approaching college students. For information, call Mary or Bill at (352) 596-1552.
Community Health Fair: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582, 14494 Cortez Blvd., west of Brooksville.
The Rockaways in concert: 7:30 p.m., Springstead Theater, 3300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. $10 for adults, $5 for 18 and younger. (352) 476-9086 or (352) 797-7010.
Sons of Italy Columbus Day Dinner and Dance: 5:30 to 11 p.m., St. Andrew's Episcopal Church Spring Hill, 2301 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill. $20. Hosted by the Nature Coast Lodge 2502. (352) 684-2788.
Detailed obituaries are published in Tampa Bay.