Commission candidate will talk at meeting
A neighborhood meeting with Hernando County Commission candidate Jon "Jaz'' Zydenbos will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Coast Guard Auxiliary, 4340 Calienta St.
The purpose of the meeting is to discuss property taxes, county spending and the possibilities of charter government. Zydenbos, a Republican candidate for commission District 1, also will discuss the county budget and what he would do to cut expenses and taxes.
Free hot dogs and beverages will be served.
Another meeting will be at 6 p.m. June 17 at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill.
For information, call 200-5461 or 263-6385.
Association will host Father's Day event
The Latin-American Civic and Cultural Association will host a Father's Day celebration from 8 p.m. to midnight Saturday at the SNPJ Lodge, 13383 County Line Road.
Music will be provided by Manny "Mr. T." Toro and will include salsa and merengue. Those attending may bring their own beverages.
Admission is $8 for members and $10 for nonmembers. For information or reservations, call Ana Burgos at 688-0763.
Gifts From Home to host dinner-dance
Gifts From Home Inc. will host a benefit dinner-dance June 28 at VFW Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive.
Doors will open at 5 p.m., with dinner served at 6 p.m., followed by music with Vintage starting at 7 p.m.
Tickets are $15 each and are available at the post canteen.
Proceeds will help purchase supplies for troops serving overseas. There will be numerous raffles. Those who bring an item that can be sent to the troops will receive a free raffle ticket.
For information, call Linda Kidwell at 684-4185.
Several events will celebrate Flag Day
The following events are planned in celebration of Flag Day on Saturday:
• Flag Day Observance and Father's Day Celebration at Brooksville Elks Lodge, 14494 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. The flag ceremony and ritual will be from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. A presentation of the flags will be given by Cub Scout Pack 459 and Boy Scout Troop 459. Elks officers will perform the ritual. There is no cost to attend.
The Father's Day dinner will begin with cocktails at 4 p.m., with dinner at 5 and dancing from 6 to 9. Take Two will provide the music. The menu choice will be roast pork or breast of chicken, served with mashed potatoes, string beans and corn, tossed salad, hot rolls, coffee and ice tea, and vanilla ice cream with creme de menthe.
Tickets are $13 and can be purchased in the lounge or at the Friday night dinner at the lodge. For information or tickets, call Don Kershow at 796-6212, Bill Balderson at 585-2713 or Harry Smith at 596-2582.
• St. Frances Cabrini Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus will host the annual Flag Day ceremony from noon to 12:30 p.m. at the southeast corner of the parking lot at St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church, 5030 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. The Knights will retire their old American flag and raise a new one, which was flown over the Capitol in Washington, D.C. Those in attendance will include state Sen. Mike Fasano and Hernando County Sheriff Richard Nugent, as well as other local dignitaries.
• The Stars and Stripes Dinner-Dance will celebrate Flag Day at Marine Corps League Spring Hill Detachment 708, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m., and the Sun Spots will provide dance music starting at 7 p.m.
Tickets are $15 and are available in the lounge, which is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays. For information, call 597-7979.
Library system plans Kids' Game Day events
The Hernando County Public Library System invites children ages 5 to 12 to participate in an afternoon of board games and video games at the following Kids' Game Day events:
• Today at West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill.
• Wednesday at Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
• Friday at Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill.
All programs will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Children can participate in games such as Dance Dance Revolution, Wii games, Scrabble, checkers and others.
There is no cost to attend and no registration required. For information, call 540-6391.
Want to be in July 4 parade? Fill out a form
Entry forms will be accepted through Sunday for those wishing to participate in the High Point community's annual July Fourth Parade.
The parade lineup will start at 8:30 a.m. July 4 at the entrance to High Point, off Cortez Boulevard. The parade will start at 9 a.m. and will end at the community center, where there will be a flag-raising ceremony. Immediately afterward, there will be entertainment, refreshments for sale and a raffle to win a television in the community center. Outdoors, there will be games for children at the pool.
Monetary awards will be given to the best parade entries in various categories. For details and entry forms, call Sheila at 597-9887.