SPEED SKATERS FUNDRAISER: An "Eat and Skate" fundraiser will be from 5 to 7 p.m. March 25 at Rainbow Rollerland, 1125 W Jefferson St., Brooksville.
The cost is $5, which includes two hours of skating and dinner — cheeseburger, baked beans, chips and drink. Proceeds will benefit the Team Florida Inline Speed Team. For information, call (352) 796-0040.
ARTIST RECEPTION: An art reception for Spring Hill Art League members Sharon Bray and Frances Childs will be from 5 to 7 p.m. March 28 at the Rising Sun Cafe, 10 S Main St., Brooksville.
Refreshments will be served. The artists' works will be on display throughout March and April. For information, call Grace Ashcraft at (352) 556-3984.
HEAD START ENROLLMENT: Starting April 16, Mid-Florida Community Services' Head Start Early Childhood Development Preschool Program will accept applications for enrollment for the 2012-13 school year.
The program serves children 3 or 4 years old as of Sept. 1. Head Start also serves children with disabilities.
The federally funded, income-eligible program encompasses health, nutrition, education, mental health and disabilities, medical/dental and parent and male involvement, as well as family and community partnerships to support strong, healthy children and families.
The items needed to apply include:
• Birth certificate.
• Proof of residency (utility bill).
• Picture ID for parent/guardian.
• Proof of income for parent/guardian for the last 12 months or prior calendar year, whichever is applicable.
• Documentation of child's disability (if applicable).
• Proof of custody (if applicable).
Applications for enrollment will be accepted from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and from 1 to 4:30 p.m. weekdays or by appointment at the following Head Start locations:
• 835 School St., Brooksville. Call (352) 754-2464.
• 11245 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 556-4800.
• 403 S Lincoln St., Bushnell. Call (352) 748-6677.
GED TESTING OFFERED: The HEART Adult Literacy Program has announced that GED testing in Hernando County will be offered April 2 to 4 at Nature Coast Technical High School, 4057 California St., south of Brooksville.
Advance registration must be completed in person at the Adult Education office at the high school; office hours are from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays.
The cost to take the General Educational Development exam is $70, cash or check. Additional test dates will be: April 16 to 18, April 30 to May 2, May 14 to 16 and June 4 to 6. Stop by the office or call (352) 797-7091.
RECREATION OFFERS BATON, MARTIAL ARTS: The Hernando County Recreation Department offers the following programs:
• Tae Kwon Do, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at Delta Woods Park, 3400 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill, and 6 to 8 p.m. Fridays at Kennedy Park, 895 Kennedy Blvd., Brooksville. Open to participants age 6 and older. The instructor is master Simeon "Sam" Kinard. The first lesson is free. The cost is $30 for the first month and $50 for additional months.
• Baton Lessons, Tuesdays at Kennedy Park, 895 Kennedy Blvd., Brooksville, and Wednesdays at Delta Woods Park, 3400 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill. Lessons are 45 minutes long; meeting times vary. Beginners through advanced levels are offered. Participants learn basic baton twirls, dance twirls, show teams, marching, parade routines, exchanges and basic gymnastics moves. The cost is $32 a month per class or $45 per month for two classes.
For information, call the Recreation Department at (352) 754-4031, stop by the office at 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville, or visit the website at hernandocounty.us/parks_rec.
HOSPICE SPEAKERS AVAILABLE: HPH Hospice has speakers available for local church, club or civic group meetings. The educational presentations are about 20 minutes and can be designed to meet a group's needs and areas of interest.
Information about HPH Hospice and end-of-life care is presented, with topics including: advance care planning, how hospice works, home health care and caring for the caregiver.
To schedule a speaker, call Carla Hayes at (352) 597-1882.
EMERGENCY TEAM VOLUNTEERS WANTED: The Hernando County Sheriff's Office Emergency Management Section is seeking adults 18 and older to join the Hernando County Community Emergency Response Team.
A training class will be from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, April 4 through May 16, at the Emergency Operations Center, 18900 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville.
CERT volunteers will receive special training to enhance their ability to prepare for, respond to and recover from a disaster.
As an organized team, volunteers provide vital services in the absence of emergency responders.
Previous emergency experience is not required. All training, materials and equipment will be provided at no cost. CERT members must pass a background check, including fingerprints.
Those interested must apply before the close of business March 23. Contact Richard Russell at (352) 754-4083 or email@example.com. Applications are available online at hernandosheriff.org/em (click on "CERT" link).
HERNANDO HI-LITES ANNUAL CONCERT: The Hernando Hi-Lites will present the annual Harmony on Parade show, "Steamin' Down the River," at 3 p.m. April 28 at First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill.
The concert will feature the women's barbershop chorus singing, a capella, songs such as Back in Dixie Again, Rock-A-Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody and Georgia. Sunset, a men's quartet, will also perform.
A meet-and-greet session with the performers will follow the show.
Adult tickets are $12 in advance or $14 at the door; students pay half price. For information, call Tessie at (352) 686-4122.