Have dinner at VFW's Spring Fling April 12
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9236 and Ladies Auxiliary will host a Spring Fling on April 12 at the post, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd.
Dinner will be served from 5 to 7:30 p.m. The menu includes New York strip steak, baked potato, salad and roll. Music will be provided by Terry Hatch from 7 to 10 p.m.
This is a non-smoking event. Tickets are $9. For information, call 596-9236.
Celebrate cease fire's 55th anniversary
The Nature Coast Korean War Veterans and Ladies Auxiliary Chapter 174 will host a 55th anniversary of the "Cease Fire" ending the fight in Korea on Sept. 6 at VFW Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive.
Tickets are now available. The event will include a buffet dinner, ethnic Korean dancers show, door prizes and dance music provided by Northern Sounds, a five-piece band. A cash bar will be available.
Tickets are $20 per person. Table reservations for eight or more are available. For information or tickets, call Rich Mellinger at 688-7196.
Space available for May 1 business expo
The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will host its 2008 Hernando County Business to Business Expo from 4 to 7 p.m. May 1 at Heffernan Hall, 20428 Cortez Blvd.
Exhibitor space is available to chamber members for $50, nonmembers $75. The event is open to the public. Refreshments will be available. For information, call the chamber at 796-0697 or Valerie Pianta, Hernando County Office of Business Development, at 540-6400.
Plenty of classes at extension service
The County Cooperative Extension Service will offer the following classes and events:
• Landscaping with Native Plants, 10 a.m. Tuesday, Forest Oaks Government Center, 7479 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. The free class will be provided by Florida Yards and Neighborhoods program coordinator John Korycki, who will discuss which natives will thrive in Hernando County yards. Seating is limited.
• Developing an Effective Spending Plan, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Forest Oaks Government Center. The class will give insight on how to improve one's financial health. There is no cost to attend, but registration is required.
• Irrigation 101, 10 a.m. April 12, Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service, 19490 Oliver St., Brooksville. The speaker is Urban Horticulture Agent Jim Moll, who will discuss how to improve an irrigation system's performance, and what steps can be taken to ensure one's landscape will survive the dry and hot temperatures before the summer rains come. There is no cost to attend, but seating is limited and reservations are needed.
• Hernando County Master Gardeners Spring Plant Sale, 9 a.m. to noon April 19, at the extension office, 19490 Oliver St., Brooksville. There will be hundreds of plants available, including trees, shrubs, ferns, ground covers and perennials. All plants have been propagated and grown by the Master Gardeners.
• "Before You Tie the Knot" marriage preparation class, 6 to 9 p.m. April 22 and 23, at the extension office. The cost is $10 per couple; couples must attend both sessions to receive a certificate of completion. The class fulfills the requirements of Florida Statute 741, Marriage Preparation and Preservation Act. A $32.50 discount on the marriage license is given to couples who complete the course. Registration is required by April 15.
For information or to register for a program, call the extension service at 754-4433.
Sign up for Saturday golf tournament
American Legion Auxiliary Unit 186 will host a golf tournament Saturday at Rivard Golf and Country Club, 18000 Rivard Blvd., off Broad Street, south of Brooksville.
The tourney is a four-player scramble, with a shotgun start at 8 a.m. Awards, food, prizes and raffles will follow at Post 186, 12091 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. The cost is $50 per golfer..
For registration forms or information, call the post at 597-9995 or Terry Dewey at 597-6971.
Brick sponsors sought for memorial
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209 invites veterans, businesses and anyone interested to sponsor a brick for a memorial pond and freedom walk that will be built at the post's new home at 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, off Anderson Snow Road.
Bricks are $50, which includes the cost of engraving. The memorial will include the brick memorial wall, a flag walkway, fountains, railings, bushes and floodlights.
The post is at 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, off Anderson Snow Road. Call the post at 796-0398.