roller skate, get hot dogs for donation
An Eat-N-Skate fundraiser will be from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday at Rainbow Rollerland, 1125 W Jefferson St.
Admission is a minimum donation of $10, which includes skating and free hot dogs and drinks.
The event is to benefit the Emerald Coast Speed Team, a team of local youth speed skaters who will be participating in USA Roller Sports National Indoor Speed Championships starting this weekend in Peoria, Ill.
For information, call (352) 796-0040.
Substance abuse group sets meeting
The Hernando County Substance Abuse Policy Advisory Board will meet at 4 p.m. Friday in the Clerk of Circuit Court conference room, Room 130 of the Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St.
The Grant Review Subcommittee will meet beforehand at 3:45 p.m. to review the grant funding applications received.
Theater presents 'The Tempest' with a twist
The Eleanor Dempsey Performing Arts Center will present William Shakespeare's The Tempest from Aug. 14-23. The center is on the Bishop McLaughlin Catholic High School campus, 13651 Hays Road, off State Road 52.
Performances will be at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, with 3 p.m. matinees on Saturdays and Sundays.
The Tempest is the story of Prospero, the deposed Duke of Milan, who gains the magical powers of a desert island to get those responsible for his exile. However, the show, directed by Steve Mountan, differs from the original play by switching the gender of many of the characters. For example, Prospero will be Prospera, the Duchess of Milan.
General admission tickets are $5. Reserved seats are $9 and can be ordered by calling (727) 857-2604 or online at www.ed-pac.org.
Marine League Labor Day picnic has tickets
Marine Corps League Detachment 708 is selling tickets for a Labor Day Picnic that will be from noon to 5 p.m. Sept. 5 at the detachment, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville.
The picnic will include grilled barbecue chicken, sausage and peppers, and accompaniments. Entertainment will be provided by Brian Chytka.
Tickets are $10 each and must be purchased by Aug. 29. Call (352) 597-7979.
HERNANDO/ SUMTER COUNTIES
Preschool enrollment is open for Head Start
Mid-Florida Community Services' Head Start Early Childhood Development Pre-School Program is accepting applications for enrollment for 2009-10 school year.
The program serves children 3 or 4 years old as of Sept. 1. Head Start also serves children with disabilities.
This is a federally funded, income-eligible program. The items needed to apply include:
• Birth certificate
• Proof of residency (utility bill)
• Picture ID for parent/guardian
• Proof of income for parent/guardian for the last 12 months or prior calendar year, whichever is applicable
• Documentation of child's disability (if applicable)
• Proof of custody (if applicable)
Applications for enrollment will be accepted from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4:30 p.m. weekdays or by appointment at the following Head Start locations:
• 835 School St., Brooksville. Call (352) 754-2464.
• 610 N Jackson St., Wildwood. Call (352) 748-6677.
• 403 S Lincoln St., Bushnell. Call (352) 748-6677.
Knitting, yoga classes coming at rec center
Hernando County Recreation will offer the following at the Community Activity Center, 205 E Fort Dade Ave.:
• Knitting 101 — Designed for beginners and as a refresher course for those who have not knitted in years. Participants learn about gauge and the continental way to cast on, knit, purl and bind off. Project patterns will be supplied; participants must bring their own yarn and knitting needles. The class will meet one day per week for four weeks, at a date to be determined. The cost is $35.
• Yoga — Participants 16 and older learn all aspects of yoga. All skill levels welcome. Meeting days are to be determined. The cost is $7 per class.
For information, call the Recreation Department at (352) 754-4031 or visit www.hernandocounty.us/parks_rec.