COUNTY PROVIDES HOME-PURCHASING ASSISTANCE: Hernando County continues to accept applications for funding assistance through the Neighborhood Stabilization Program 3. The federally funded program provides emergency assistance to state and local governments to acquire and redevelop foreclosed homes.
Qualified applicants may utilize the funding for a down payment, mortgage buy-down, minor rehabilitation and related assistance.
Applicants must attend a mandatory orientation session, as well as a home buyers workshop.
The next orientation will be from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday in the commission chambers at the Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville.
The next HUD-approved home buyers workshop will be 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service, 1653 Blaise Drive, Brooksville. To reserve a seat, call (352) 726-1113 or toll-free 1-888-563-1110.
To download an application, visit the website at hernandodownpayment.com. Applications are also available in the Hernando County Health and Human Services Department, Room 161, Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. For an application to be sent by mail, call (352) 540-4338.
YARD SALE HELPS BOATING PROGRAMS: The Hernando Beach Marine Safety Support Group will host its semiannual yard sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 13 at the Coast Guard Auxiliary, 4340 Calienta St., Hernando Beach.
This event will be open to vendors; the cost is $25 for a 10- by 10-foot space. Proceeds will go toward safe boating education.
Donations for the yard sale are also appreciated and may be dropped off at the facility between 9 and 11 a.m. Monday. Pickups can be arranged.
For information, to rent a space or schedule a pickup, call Jackie at (352) 666-7239.
LINE DANCING: The next Brookridge Good Times Line Dance Social will be from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. April 13 at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., Brookridge.
DJ Dave will entertain with a mix of beginner to intermediate dances, including top 20 and old favorites.
Guests may bring their own snacks, drinks and ice. Admission is $5. For information, call Norma at (352) 397-6088.
INTERVIEW WORKSHOPS: Pasco-Hernando Community College Career and Testing Services will offer interview skills workshops to help job seekers, as well as test-taking workshops for students or job candidates who experience anxiety over tests.
The workshops will be offered at the following times and places:
• Monday at the North Campus, 11415 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Brooksville. "Interview Tips" will be from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. and "Test-Taking Tips" from 11 a.m. to noon.
• Wednesday at the Spring Hill Campus, 450 Beverly Court. "Interview Tips" from 2 to 3:15 p.m., "Test-Taking Tips" from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• April 11, East Campus, 36727 Blanton Road, Dade City. "Interview Tips from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m., "Test-Taking Tips" from 11 a.m. to noon.
The workshops are offered to the public at no cost. For information, contact Nicole Miller at (352) 797-5174 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
BOATING CLASSES: The following boating classes will be offered at the Coast Guard Auxiliary, 4340 Calienta St., Hernando Beach:
• "Boating Skills and Seamanship," 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, April 9 through June 4. Designed for both experienced and novice boaters. Topics will include boating safety, rules, navigation, weather, radio and Florida law. Completion satisfies the requirement for the Florida boating safety ID. The cost is $35.
• "How to Use a GPS," 9 a.m. to noon April 28. The class focuses on the GPS equipment typically owned by a recreational boater. Participants will learn how to program waypoints, develop routes and interface GPS routes with a nautical chart. The cost is $35.
For information, call Jeff at (352) 397-5417.