YOUTH VFW ESSAY CONTESTS: Local middle and high school youth are invited to enter the annual essay contests offered through the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
The Voice of Democracy competition is open to students in grades 9 to 12. Entrants must submit a three- to five-minute audio essay on the theme "Is Our Constitution Still Relevant?"
The Patriot's Pen competition, for students in grades 6 to 8, calls for a 300- to 400-word essay on "What I Would Tell America's Founding Fathers."
Two local VFW posts are accepting entries:
• VFW Post 9236 and Ladies Auxiliary, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. The post will award a $500 cash scholarship to the Voice of Democracy winner and $200 cash to the Patriot's Pen winner. For details, call Jen or Betty at the post, (352) 596-9236.
• VFW Post 10209 and Ladies Auxiliary, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill. Contact Kathy Alonzo at (352) 232-6409 or (352) 796-0398.
Winners move on with a chance to enter the national competition. The top national prize for the Voice of Democracy is a $30,000 scholarship. The top prize for the Patriot's Pen contest is $5,000.
The deadline for all entries is Nov. 1. Typed Voice of Democracy essays must be accompanied by a recorded CD version. Visit vfw.org/community/voice-of-democracy for rules and entry forms. Patriot's Pen essays must be typed. Visit vfw.org/community/patriot-s-pen for details.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS OPEN ON COUNTY BOARDS: The Hernando County Commission is accepting applications from individuals interested in serving on the following boards.
All positions will become vacant as of Dec. 31:
• Aviation Authority — two positions.
• Board of Construction and Regulation — Positions for one consumer, one roofing contractor and one general contractor.
• Environmentally Sensitive Lands Committee — Two professional positions.
Applicants should have expertise and/or education in one of the following areas: botany, engineering with knowledge of land development or land use, archaeology, geology or hydrology, biology, realty, ecology, forestry/land management, or a related natural science.
• Fine Arts Council — Three positions.
• Library Advisory Committee — Three regular and two alternate positions.
• Planning and Zoning Commission — Two regular and one alternate positions.
• Port Authority — Two positions.
• Tourist Development Council — One representative involved in a tourism endeavor that does not collect the tourism tax.
Applications are available in the county administrator's office, Room 263, Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville, or online at hernandocounty.us/bocc/committee.htm.
Completed applications must be returned to the office no later than 5 p.m. Oct. 25.
All applications must be residents and registered voters of Hernando County.
For information, call (352) 754-4002.
AIR SHOW: The Hernando Aero Modelers will host a Charity Air Show from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 13 at the group's field, at the Cemex entrance road at 16301 Ponce De Leon Blvd., north of Brooksville.
There will be pattern and scale demonstrations, pylon races, high-speed delta demonstrations, combat flying, static aircraft displays and skilled flying events.
Food and drinks will be available.
Admission is $3 per person or $5 per carload.
Proceeds will benefit the Hernando Cattlemen's Association scholarship fund.
For more information, call Bill Panzeter at (352) 346-9948.