ANNUAL ARC MEETING: The Arc Nature Coast will host its annual membership meeting at 5 p.m. Oct. 9 at the Arc Nature Coast Education Center, 6495 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill.
The following have been nominated for board positions for 2013: John DiRienzo, Mark Howell, Teri Nichols and Kimberly Hayward-Knapp. Only Arc members may vote.
Dinner will be served. Those attending are asked to RSVP by today. Send email to email@example.com or call (352) 544-2322, ext. 109.
LEARN HAIKU: The Hernando County Public Library System will offer an introduction to the art of Japanese Haiku poetry at the following branch libraries:
• 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 12, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave., Spring Hill.
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 25, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville.
The program will include time for group discussion and some creative writing.
There is no cost to participate, but registration is encouraged. For information or to register, call (352) 754-4043. Visit the website at hernandocountylibrary.us.
CIVIL WAR PROGRAM: "Florida and the Civil War" will be presented from 11 a.m. to noon Oct. 13 at the East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West.
The speaker will be Keith Kohl, a Civil War re-enactor and author. The interactive presentation will include a display of Civil War uniforms and other items from the period.
The program is appropriate for all ages and is sponsored by the Friends of the Library of Hernando County. There is no cost to participate.
For information, call (352) 754-4043.
FALL FEAST BENEFIT: A Fall Feast will take place Oct. 14 in the parking lot at Lizzie T's Coffee House, 7635 Horse Lake Road, Brooksville. Vendors will start at 9 a.m., and registration for contests starts at noon.
The event is a fundraiser for the Dawn Center, Hernando County's domestic violence shelter. It will include a bounce house, music, face painting, silent auction, dessert station, arts and crafts. There will also be numerous contests:
• Hot dog eating contest for ages 18 and older. The cost is $20 to enter.
• Crazy hat contest for all ages. The cost is $15.
• Corn hole contest for all ages. The cost is $30 per team. Registration ends at 1 p.m., with the first throw at 1:30 p.m.
• Pie-eating contest. The cost is $20 for adults and $15 for youth. Competitions are in age groups: 5 to 8 years, 9 to 13 years, 14 to 17 years, 18 to 39 years, and 40 and older.
All contestants will receive a T-shirt. Prizes will be awarded to first-, second- and third-place finishers. Those who preregister prior to the event will be guaranteed a shirt size.
For information, call (352) 593-4184.