NOMINATE A GREAT BROOKSVILLIAN: The city of Brooksville is accepting nominations through Tuesday for the 2013 Great Brooksvillian.
The annual program recognizes outstanding men and women who have made significant contributions to the history, culture or economy of Brooksville. A perpetual plaque is maintained at City Hall to commemorate and memorialize the honorees. An individual plaque is presented to each honoree.
Nominations must be received by 5 p.m. Tuesday. Information and nomination forms are available at cityofbrooksville.us. Send email to [email protected] or call (352) 540-3853.
DEADLINE NEARS FOR ARTS COUNCIL GRANT: The Hernando County Arts Council is accepting applications through Tuesday for its 2013 grant program for cultural organizations in Hernando County.
Grants vary from $100 to $500 and are available to individuals and organizations. For details, visit hernando arts.org and click on "Forms."
GAME DAY FOR FAMILIES: The Hernando County Public Library System will host a Family Game Day from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor West.
The event will include activities for all ages, including electronic games such as Xbox 360 and Wii; board games such as Scrabble, Pictureka, Life and Candyland, and corn toss.
Popcorn and lemonade will be served. There is no cost to participate. For information, call (352) 754-4043 or visit hernandocountylibrary.us.
BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION FOR JAGUAR: The Florida International Teaching Zoo is hosting a birthday celebration through the end of the month for Inca the black jaguar, who turned 19 on April 15. The zoo is at 4258 SW 52nd Terrace, Bushnell.
Visitors are welcome from noon to 4 p.m. today and Saturday to see the rare South American cat. Also, the zoo's students and staff will give guided tours of the hyenas, rare monkey families, red kangaroos, free flight aviary birds, giant porcupines and other endangered animals.
The cost is $6 for adults and children 6 and older. For information, call (352) 867-7788.
CAR, BIKE SHOWS: Registration is open for a car show and bike show, hosted by Monster Transmission and Performance, that will be part of the second annual Florida Blueberry Festival in downtown Brooksville:
• Car Show, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 4. Staging will be between 7 and 8 a.m. Entry is open to antiques, classics, custom cars and custom trucks. Awards for vehicles from model years prior to 1993 include best of show, best blue on blue, best paint (not blue), best exotic, best engine and best interior. A best of show award will also be given to a vehicle from 1993 and newer.
Goody bags and dash plaques will be provided. There will be entertainment, raffles, food vendors and door prizes.
Registration is $15 and includes free admission to the blueberry festival.
• Bike Show, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 5. All bike types are welcome. Awards will be given for best in show, best blue on blue, best sports bike, best female rider and best three-wheel.
Fox's Karaoke and DJ Krazy Dave will entertain. There will be door prizes and giveaways.
Registration is $10, which includes free entry to the blueberry festival.
Proceeds from both shows will benefit Gifts From Home and Hope Youth Ranch.
Preregistration is encouraged, particularly for the car show, which will have a limited number of entries. For information, contact Nancy Holley toll-free 1-800-708-0087, ext. 4491, or at [email protected]
VENDOR SPACES AVAILABLE: The Knights of Columbus St. Jude Council 6383 Ladies Auxiliary will host a flea market from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 11 at the K of C Hall, 10470 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill.
Outdoor spaces are available for $15; bring your own table. For information or reservations, call Annie at (352) 683-7290.
AARP DRIVER SAFETY PROGRAM: The following AARP Driver Safety Program classes will be offered in May. The six-hour class costs $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers (members must bring their AARP cards to class):
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 1 and 8, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd., west of Brooksville. Call Ed Baker at (352) 796-7079 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon May 2 and 9, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call Marge Lingor at (352) 596-9193 to register.
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 6 and 8, Oak Hill Hospital H2U Partner's Club, 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Call Bill Conn at (352) 556-3050 to register.
• Noon to 3 p.m. May 13 and 14, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105, Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call Bill Conn at (352) 556-3050 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 18, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., Brookridge. Call Michelle Haenel at (352) 666-4044 to register.
SUMMER ACADEMIC AND GED PROGRAMS: The For Each 1 Reach One mentoring program is offering a six-week summer academic program for school-age youths, designed to close the gap for students before the new school year begins. A GED tutoring program will also be available. All programs will be at the mentoring program's office at 7284 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville. Sessions will be available on Mondays for elementary students, Tuesdays for middle school students and Wednesdays for high school students. There will be several sessions offered: 9 to 11 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. The cost for those who register by May 15 is $50. Late registration will be taken through June 4 for $75. GED tutoring will be offered from 9 to 10 a.m. and from 6 to 7 p.m. on Thursdays. The cost is $35 per session. For information or registration, call (352) 556-2768 or visit foreach1reach1.com.
FREE CAR WASH: The Inside Out Student Ministries of Hope Community Bible Church will host a free community car wash from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 4 at Advance Auto Parts, 4269 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. For information, call (352) 686-6020.