ADOPT A CAT OR KITTEN: Home at Last Pet Adoptions will host adopt-a-thons from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. each Saturday at Petco, 7223 Coastal Blvd., west of Brooksville, in the rear of the store. Although the organization specializes in Siamese cats, other cats and kittens will be available. All are spayed or neutered, have had age-appropriate vaccinations, have tested negative for feline leukemia and AIDS, have microchips and have been treated for parasites. Fees vary and are tax deductible.
All pets may be viewed online at halpetadoptions.petfinder.com. Requests for specific pets to be brought to an adopt-a-thon may be made, and individual appointments may also be scheduled. Call (352) 476-6832 or send email to [email protected]
DENTAL STORYTIME PROGRAMS: The Hernando County Health Department's dental health program will entertain children with a puppet show and story during the Toddler Time and Storytime programs at the following libraries:
• Tuesday at Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville
• Thursday at Spring Hill Branch Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill.
Toddler Time, for ages 18 to 35 months, will be at 10:30 a.m. both days; Storytime, for ages 3 to 5 years, will be at 11:15 a.m. both days.
Toothbrushes and other dental health giveaways will be available for participating children.
No registration is required. For more information, call (352) 754-4043 or visit hernandocountylibrary.us.
CHRISTMAS BOOK SALE: Friends of the Library of Hernando County will host a Summer Christmas Sale from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 4 at the Little Red Schoolhouse Bookstore, 1208 Kenlake Ave., Spring Hill. For information, call (352) 684-0660.
FREE DAY FOR THE NEEDY: Second Chance Restoration Ministries will host a Free Day for the needy at 10 a.m. Aug. 11 at 19235 Cortez Blvd., in Killingsworth Plaza, in Brooksville.
There will be a giveaway of new and used clothing, school uniforms, shoes, toys, electronics and other items. Complimentary refreshments, including hot dogs, chips and drinks, will be served. For information, call (352) 340-6857 or (352) 585-6881.
BOATING CLASSES OFFERED: The Coast Guard Auxiliary will offer the following classes at its facility at 4340 Calienta St., Hernando Beach:
• How to Read Your GPS, 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 18. Those who have a GPS device should bring it to the class; those who don't should not purchase one until after taking the course. This is a practical course that shows which buttons to push and how to get to one's destination and back. The cost is $35.
• About Boating Safety, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 21-23. Topics include types of boats and their uses, boating laws, personal safety equipment, safe boat handling, navigation, boating problems, trailering, storing and protecting a boat, hunting and fishing, waterskiing and river boating. The cost is $35.
• Boating Skills and Seamanship, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 28 to Oct. 23. This course is for both experienced and new boat owners. Topics include types of boats, required equipment, trailering, piloting a boat, "highway" signs, rules on the water, inland boating, introduction to navigation, powering a boat, lines and knots, weather and a boat's radio, Florida law, personal watercraft, hypothermia, carbon monoxide, float plans and instructions for using a course plotter and the metric conversion system.
Some insurance companies offer a discount to those who complete this class. Upon completion, participants will receive a Florida safety education ID. The cost is $50.
For information or to reserve a seat for any of the classes, call Jeff at (352) 200-8385.
Also, the Coast Guard Auxiliary offers free safety inspections for boats. The inspections can be done where the boat is stored, whether at a home or at a marina.
To schedule an appointment, call John at (352) 596-2823.
BOTANICAL GARDENs TOURS: The Spring Hill Garden Club offers guided tours of the Nature Coast Botanical Gardens, 1489 Parker Ave., between 9 a.m. and noon on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Tours are offered to groups of five people or more and last about one hour. They are free, though donations are appreciated.
The property has 23 themed gardens, including a rose garden, an Asian garden, a memorial garden and a butterfly garden.
Reservations are required; call (352) 683-9933. The gardens are open daily during daylight hours. The adjacent plant nursery is open from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays and Mondays. Visit naturecoastgardens.com.