SUMMER CAMPS: The Hernando County Parks and Recreation Department will offer the following summer camps next week, Monday to July 19:
• Basketball Camp, for ages 8 to 14, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at West Hernando Middle School, 14325 Ken Austin Parkway, west of Brooksville. The cost is $65 per week; before and after care is available for an additional $10.
• Kids Cook, at the Community Activity Center, 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville. A beginner class for children ages 5 to 9 meets from 9 to 11:30 a.m.; an intermediate class for children ages 9 to 14 meets from 1 to 4 p.m. The cost is $65.
A one-time registration fee of $10 is due at the time of camp registration. Registration forms are available online at hernandocounty.us/parks_rec/, or stop by the office at 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville. Call (352) 754-4031.
SALE BENEFITS EQUESTRIAN GROUP: The Arc Nature Coast POSSE equestrian group will have a yard sale from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 20 at 16047 Psenka St., Masaryktown.
There will be tack and other horse items, baked goods and miscellaneous items.
Proceeds will benefit the POSSE (Promoting Opportunities and Skills with Special Equestrians) program. Donations for the sale are being accepted. Call (352) 796-9702.
RECYCLING SCHEDULE CHANGE: Brooksville residents are reminded of changes to the city's curbside recycling program that will continue through the end of July:
• July 18 recyclables: newspapers only.
• July 25 recyclables: cardboard only.
Recyclables should be placed in blue recycling bags, which may be picked up at City Hall, 201 Howell Ave., or at the Department of Public Works, 600 S Brooksville Ave.
The regular pickup schedule will resume in August.
For more details, call Mike McQuown at (352) 540-3860.
FAMILY SUMMIT: The fifth annual Summit for Youth and Families will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 4 at Grace Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 200 Mount Fair Ave., Brooksville.
The event will be presented by the Hernando Youth Initiative of the Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce education committee.
The summit has developed action plans to address graduation rates, the transition to post-secondary education, the transition to the workforce, teen pregnancy prevention and support, substance use/abuse, violence, bullying, childhood obesity, mental health and well-being, mentoring and early learning.
There is no cost to attend, but seating is limited to the first 300 reservations. All reservations and cancellations must be made by Sept. 30. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Tracy Echols at (352) 277-3322 or (813) 748-1506. Sponsorships are also available.
HEAD START ENROLLMENT: The Mid-Florida Community Services Head Start Early Childhood Development Preschool Program is accepting applications for enrollment for the 2012-13 school year.
The program serves children who will be 3 or 4 years old as of Sept. 1. Head Start also serves children with disabilities.
The federally funded, income-eligible program encompasses nutrition, education, mental health and disabilities, medical/dental health, and parent and male involvement, as well as the family and community partnerships needed to support strong, healthy children and families.
The items needed to apply include the following:
• Birth certificate.
• Proof of residency (utility bill).
• Photo identification for parent/guardian.
• Proof of income for parent/guardian for the past 12 months or the prior calendar year, whichever is applicable.
• Documentation of a child's disability (if applicable).
• Proof of custody (if applicable).
Applications for enrollment will be accepted from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and from 1 to 4:30 p.m. weekdays or by appointment at the following Head Start locations:
• 835 School St., Brooksville. Call (352) 754-2464.
• 11245 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 556-4800.
• 403 S Lincoln St., Bushnell. Call (352) 748-6677.
EARLY LEARNING COALITION ENROLLING CHILDREN FOR VPK PROGRAM: The Early Learning Coalition of Pasco and Hernando Counties is enrolling children in the 2012-13 Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten program, which is offered free for all Florida children who will be 4 on or before Sept. 1.
To enroll children, parents should bring a child's proof of age (birth certificate, original shot record or passport) and current proof of residency (driver's license, utility bill). The registration process should take between 10 and 15 minutes.
The coalition has two offices in Hernando County. The Spring Hill office is at 15506 County Line Road; call (727) 233-8291. The Brooksville office is at 26 S Brooksville Ave.; call (352) 754-5068. For Pasco County locations or further information, visit the website at phelc.org/vpk.html.