NAACP meetings move to new location
The Hernando County NAACP has changed the location of its general membership meetings, due to the closing of the Spring Hill Branch Library on Mondays.
The group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Hernando County Democratic Club headquarters, 13405 Chambord St., off Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville. Refreshments will be served.
General membership meetings will continue at this new location on the fourth Monday of each month. Also, the executive committee will continue to meet at 6:30 p.m. the second Monday of each month at Bethlehem Progressive Baptist Church in Brooksville.
For information, call Wayman at (352) 442-4242 or Evelyn at (352) 684-0340.
Coast Guard Auxiliary has programs for you
The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary will offer the following programs:
• Who We Are and What We Do, 7 to 8 p.m. Sept. 29. There is no cost to attend. The program is for prospective members or those interested in learning about the auxiliary, a uniformed civilian volunteer component of the Coast Guard.
• Navigating with GPS (Global Positioning System), 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 18. Cost is $35, which includes a text on use of a GPS.
• How to Read a Nautical Chart, 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 8. Topics include types of charts, capabilities and limitations of charts, interpretation of symbols and how to select a chart for use. The cost is $35, which includes text on chart nomenclature.
• America's Boating Course, from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Nov. 11-13. This three-day basic course is an overview of boating safety, and it includes all information to qualify for the Florida boating safety ID card. The cost is $30, which includes a text.
All programs are at the auxiliary, 4340 Calienta St. To reserve a seat or for information on any of the above classes, call John at (352) 573-8155.
The auxiliary provides free vessel safety checks For an appointment, call Jackie at 666-7239.
Visit the local auxiliary's Web site at http://a0701508.uscgaux.info/.
AARP offers course for drivers 50 and older
The AARP Driver Safety Program is a refresher course for drivers 50 and older. The cost is $10.
The course will be offered at the following locations in October:
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 1 and 8, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital). Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 10 and 17, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 15 and 22, Spring Hill Enrichment Center. Call (352) 684-9302 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m. Oct. 17 and 20, Brooksville Enrichment Center , 670 Broad St. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m. Oct. 14 and 16, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church , 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 27 and 28, Brookridge Community Center, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville. Call (352) 666-4044 to register.
Meet the artists at reception Sept. 24
An art reception featuring four local artists will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Sept. 24 at the Rising Sun Cafe, 10 S Main St.
• Evie Harper, a self-taught artist who recreates the creatures that inhabits the Weeki Wachee coastline through one-of-a-kind wood and clay sculptures.
• Robert Hernaiz, a self-taught artist whose love of art started in New York City when he was 8 years old. He works primarily with graphite pencil, watercolor pencil and ink pens. He is also a musician, composer and teacher.
• Patricia "Patty" Ritter, venue coordinator for the Spring Hill Art League. Her medium of choice is oil paint on canvas, working in two styles — impressionism and mosaics.
• Lynn Simone, who works primarily in pastels, creating realistic subjects in vivid colors. Simone is also the historian and publicity chair for the Spring Hill Art League and maintains the news and gallery sections on the league's Web site.
Elks plan Oktober Fest, dinner dance
Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 will host the following events at the lodge at 9135 Denton Ave.
• Oktober Fest, Sept. 27. Dinner will be at 6 p.m. and will include sauerbraten (marinated pot roast), leipziger (vegetable medley), diced potatoes with ham and onion, German chocolate cake and coffee. Music will be from 7 to 10 p.m., presented by the Deutschmeister Blas Band, a 12-member group that performs Bavarian music and dresses in traditional costumes. Tickets are $14; reserved seating only.
• Dinner Dance in honor of Joseph Ortiz, president of the Florida Elks Association and his wife Rita, Oct. 4. Hors d'oeuvres will be at 6 p.m., and a roast pork dinner will be at 7 p.m. Music will be provided by Short Notice. Tickets are $15 each. Reserved seating only and tickets must be purchased in advance.
Tickets for either event can be purchased at the lodge office between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays. For information, call (727) 868-2994.
Need a job or want a new job? Try this event
Individuals who are unemployed, looking for a career change or just tired of commuting for work are invited to register for the 13th annual Hernando County Job Fair "Opportunity 2008." The job fair will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Career Central, 7361 Forest Oaks Blvd.
More than 20 local companies will participate and accept applications and arrange interviews.
Those attending the fair should dress appropriately and bring resumes. Advance registration required.
To register, call (352) 200-3055. For information, call Denise at (352) 544-5206.
Swing band to perform at VFW
Eddie Lawrence and the Company Swing Band will perform Saturday at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive. Doors open at 7 p.m.
Tickets are $10 per person. For tickets or information, call the post at (352) 796-0398.