DRIVER SAFETY PROGRAM: AARP Driver Safety Program classes are available at various locations. The cost for each six-hour course is $15 for AARP members (bring membership card) and $20 for nonmembers. These classes are set in February:
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday and Feb. 5, Oak Hill Hospital H2U Partner's Club, 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill (behind the hospital). Call Bill Conn at (352) 556-3050 or (606) 669-3224.
• 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday and Feb. 6, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call Marge Lingor at (352) 596-9193.
• 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Feb. 5, Brooksville Enrichment Center at Bayfront Health Brooksville, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building, 17222 Hospital Blvd., west of Brooksville. Call Ginny Holohan, at (352) 684-2126 or (570) 205-1261.
• Noon to 3 p.m. Feb. 11 and 13, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call Marge Lingor at (352) 596-9193.
• Noon to 3 p.m. Feb. 11 and 13, Spring Hill Enrichment Center at Bayfront Health Spring Hill, Suite 105, Medical Arts Building, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call Bill Conn at (352) 556-3050 or (606) 669-3224.
RELAY FOR LIFE MEETING: The American Cancer Society's Brooksville Relay for Life committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday at Faith Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 200 Mount Fair Ave., Brooksville. A team meeting is at 6:30 p.m. Anyone interested is welcome. To form a team or register as a survivor, visit relayforlife.org/brooksvillefl. The Brooksville relay is April 25 and 26 at Hernando High School, 700 Bell Ave. For information, contact Lisa at (813) 949-0291, ext. 5612 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
FUNDRAISERS For PAPA JOE'S EMPLOYEES: Community fundraisers have been organized to help employees who have been left without jobs after the fire that destroyed Papa Joe's Italian Restaurant.
• A yard sale will start at 7 a.m. Saturday in the Papa Joe's parking lot at 6244 Spring Lake Highway, east of Brooksville. Donations for the sale may be brought to the site Friday. For information, call Papa Joe Giarratana at (352) 585-7557, Jeannie Cameron at (352) 585-3672 or Donna Giarratana at (352) 279-0996.
• Live Oak Theatre Company and the Kiwanis Club of Brooksville Ridge have collaborated to produced 1,000 "I ♥ Papa Joe's" T-shirts. The cost is $15 per T-shirt or two for $20. Proceeds will benefit the employees of the restaurant. The shirts are available for sale at Capricci Gifts, 6230 Spring Lake Highway.
• Youth With a Mission/YWAM of Tampa and Live Oak Theatre will donate the proceeds of Friday's performance of Judah Ben-Hur to Papa Joe's employees. The show is at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Faith Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 200 Mount Fair Ave., Brooksville. Doors open at 7 p.m. for coffee, tea and dessert. Tickets are $15; $5 for 13 and younger. Also, "I ♥ Papa Joe's" T-shirts will be available for purchase. Call (352) 593-0027 or visit liveoaktheatre.org.
LIBRARY FUN: The Hernando County Public Library will offer the following events at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill:
• Teen Anime Club, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday. Youth ages 12 to 18 can draw and discuss manga and participate in coordinating anime-themed events and activities. Advance registration requested.
• Family Unbirthday Celebration Story Time, 3 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Families with children from preschoolers through 12 years old are invited to an afternoon of stories, songs and crafts.
Both programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Library of Hernando County. For information, call (352) 754-4043.
BOOKS, VOLUNTEERS WANTED FOR LITERACY PROGRAM: Goodwill's annual BookWorks preschool literacy program starts Saturday and continues through March 15. The program is seeking volunteers and donations of new or like-new books for children ages 2 to 5. The purpose of the program is to promote literacy by putting books into the hands of children from low-income families. Goodwill volunteers read to children at Head Start centers and other site, then present each child with a personalized book to take home. This year, the program will expand to provide books to first- and second-graders. Donations of books should include a note indicating they are "for BookWorks." They may be dropped off at any Goodwill-Suncoast store or donation site in Hernando, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Polk or Marion counties. The local Goodwill is at 4750 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. For other sites, visit goodwill-suncoast.org or call toll-free 1-888-279-1988; those interested in volunteering may call (727) 523-1512, ext. 1976.
SCIENCE FAIR JUDGES NEEDED: Volunteers are needed for the Hernando County School District's Science and Engineering Fair, which is 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Feb. 5 at the Hernando County Fairgrounds, 6436 S Broad St. Professionals or retired professionals with science and engineering backgrounds are being sought to help with judging of projects by students in grades 6 to 12. Also, businesses are needed to sponsor special awards with plaques or money. Those interested in judging or sponsoring an award may contact Colleen Doulk at email@example.com or (352) 797-7024, ext. 301.
PET ADOPTION EVENTS: Two pet adoption events are scheduled
• ARF'N, Animal Rescue Friends Network, will have an adoption/rescue event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 8 at Flammer Ford, 3335 Commercial Way, Spring Hill. Dogs, puppies, cats and kittens will be available both inside the showroom and in the parking lot. There will be animals saved from shelters by various rescue groups. There will also be vendors, food, raffles, a bake sale and an information table. For information, call (352) 684-9050.
• A pet adoption event will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 9 at Weeki Wachee Animal Care Center, 7068 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee. This event is being organized by veterinarian Dr. Ronald Cooper and several area rescue groups. There will also be vendors, music, food and pets available for adoption. For information, call Debbie at (813) 340-1887.