BROOKSVILLE ELEMENTARY EVENTS: The following meetings and events are scheduled at Brooksville Elementary School, 885 N Broad St.
For information, call (352) 797-7014.
• PTA meeting, 4:15 p.m. Tuesday, in the staff meeting room. Plans for the school year will be finalized.
• Kindergarten "Back to School" night and Title 1 annual meeting, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, in the cafeteria. A pizza dinner will be provided by the PTA from 5:30 to 6 p.m. Parents will learn about "brain-based" research, homework, agendas and communicators, Florida Kid Care, Starfall and home Internet programs, the Walking School Bus and the Title 1 program. Games and activities will be provided for children by the Boys & Girls Club of Hernando County.
LIBRARY OFFERS FISHING PROGRAM SERIES: The Hernando County Public Library System will host Uncle John's Fishing School monthly programs at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. All programs begin at 5 p.m. and include:
• Back to Basics, Sept. 18. This is an introduction to the sport of fishing. The basics of fishing in fresh and saltwater will be discussed, including where and when to fish, what bait to use and what tackle is needed.
• Hernando County Parks and Recreation, Oct. 16. Parks and Recreation officials will provide information on where to fish locally, including fishing piers and boat ramps.
• Fishing Rigs and Tackle, Nov. 20. This workshop will teach how to tie knots and discuss what hooks and lures to use.
There is no cost to participate. For information, call (352) 754-4043 or visit hernandocounty library.us.
FOOD BANK MEETINGS: Monthly meetings have been scheduled for the Food Bank of Hernando, a countywide food bank currently being formed.
The first meeting will be at 9 a.m. Sept. 18 at the Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd., west of Brooksville.
The purpose of the group is to help fill and sustain food pantries throughout Hernando County. For information, call John Stramiello at (727) 808-4096.
ORGANIC FOOD AND MUSICAL FEST: Organic Americana — Celebrating Regional Tastes and Music will be from 1 to 6 p.m. Sept. 22 at Crystal River Preserve State Park (Eco-Walk Trailhead), 5990 N Tallahassee Road, Crystal River.
Musical entertainment will kick off at 2 p.m., featuring the New 76ers, Sabal and Hardee Myer. Vendors will be on hand selling regional fresh foods. Artists and other vendors will also participate.
Tickets are $11 if purchased in advance and $12 on the day of the festival; children 6 and younger are admitted free. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Friends of Crystal River State Parks.
Visit the website at swamp groove.com, or contact Fran Litton at firstname.lastname@example.org or (407) 927-8032.