Send your dogs to school at park
Hernando County Recreation Department will offer the following dog training programs at Rotary Centennial Park, 10375 Sandlor St.:
• Elementary school, 10:30 a.m. Saturdays starting this week. This is a six-week session for dogs 4 months and older. The class focuses on obedience, with 16 commands and combinations, leadership, communication, pack order and more. The cost is $95.
• Puppy kindergarten, 9 a.m. Saturdays starting July 24. This is a three-week program for dogs 8 months and younger. Owners learn the fundamentals of owning a puppy or dog. Topics include housebreaking, teething, puppy development stages, choosing a dog food, exercising your dog, developing a schedule and socialization. The cost is $40.
The programs are provided by Dog Gone Solutions. Registration is required at www.doggone solutions.com or call the recreation office at (352) 754-4031.
Summer Nights fest features eclectic mix
The next Hot Summer Nights event will be from 5 to 10 p.m. July 17 in downtown Brooksville.
The street festival includes the Love Your Neighbor farmers market, the Market on Main Street, artists' displays, musical entertainment, comedy, car and motorcycle display, and various family activities. For information, call (352) 428-9275.
Volunteers sought for planning, arts boards
The Hernando County Commission is accepting applications from individuals wishing to volunteer their time on the following boards:
• Planning and Zoning Commission — There is an unexpired term as an alternate through Dec. 31, 2012.
The commission advises the County Commission on rezonings and other land-use issues. Applicants must be Hernando County residents and registered voters, and must have computer access, since all agenda packets are prepared and distributed electronically.
• Fine Arts Council — There are four seats to fill unexpired terms, including two that expire Dec. 31, 2010, one that expires Dec. 31, 2011 and one that expires Dec. 31, 2013.
The council promotes the arts and supports groups associated with the arts in Hernando County. Applicants must be Hernando County residents and registered voters.
Applications are available in the County Administrator's Office, Room 263 of the Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville. The application deadline for both boards is 5 p.m. July 23. For information, call (352) 754-4002 or visit the website at hernandocounty.us/bocc/committees.htm.
Rec programs offer tae kwon do, tennis
Hernando County Recreation offers the following programs:
• Tae kwon do — 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at Delta Woods Park, 3400 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill; and 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays at the Community Activity Center, 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville. Open to ages 6 through adult. The instructor is Master Simeon "Sam" Kinard. The first lesson is free. The first month is $30 and subsequent months are $5; parent discounts available.
• Tennis Camp, 9 a.m. to noon July 26-30, Hernando Park, 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville. For ages 8-14. The instructor is Martin Macy. Participants will develop technique and form and improve their tennis skills. For beginners and intermediate students. The cost is $90, plus a $10 registration fee.
For information, call the recreation office at (352) 754-4031.
Girl Scouts to hold scrapbooking camp
The Girl Scouts of West Central Florida, Brooksville/Ridge Manor Service Unit, will host a Girl Scout Scrapbooking Camp from 6 to 8 p.m. July 26-30 at Brooksville United Methodist Church, 109 S Broad St., in the Youth Ministry Building.
Girls in kindergarten through 12th grade are welcome. Participants are asked to bring their own photos and albums to create their pages.
The cost is $15 per Girl Scout; nonmembers pay $20, which includes membership for the 2009-10 year.
Event capacity is limited. To reserve a space, contact Roni Francis at firstname.lastname@example.org, (813) 262-1798 or toll-free 1-800-881-4475, ext. 1798.
Got a cool carpool? Enter this contest
The Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority has launched the "How Cool is Your Carpool" video contest.
The contest invites anyone who commutes in Hernando, Citrus, Pasco, Hillsborough and Pinellas counties to submit a brief video, no more than 2 minutes long, sharing why they think their carpool is the coolest.
Two awards will be given. The Judges Choice Award will be given to the video that best communicates one or more of the benefits of carpooling: reduces stress, saves money or helps the environment. The Viewers Choice Award is given to the one with the most votes made by viewers through the website at coolestcarpool.com. If chosen as the winner, all those in the carpool (up to four people) will receive a prize.
Contestants must be at least 18 years old. Rules and prizes are listed on the website. The site also includes sample videos.
Those who do not have access to the website can call Cindy Sharpe at (813) 244-2883 or Scotty Schrier at (813) 282-8200.
Also, those who carpool at least once a week is eligible for the Emergency Ride Home program, a service that provides a free or low-cost taxi ride to a carpooler for an emergency (such as sickness, personal/family emergency, or unscheduled overtime). Information about this free program is available online at tampabayrideshare.org and tbarta.com.
HERNANDO/ SUMTER COUNTIES
Head Start accepting 2010-11 applications
Mid-Florida Community Services' Head Start Early Childhood Development Pre-School Program is accepting applications for enrollment for the 2010-11 school year.
The program serves children 3 or 4 years old as of Sept. 1. Head Start also serves children with disabilities.
This is a federally funded, income-eligible program. The items needed to apply include:
• Birth certificate.
• Proof of residency (utility bill).
• Picture ID for parent/guardian.
• Proof of income for parent/guardian for the last 12 months or prior calendar year, whichever is applicable.
• Documentation of child's disability (if applicable).
• Proof of custody (if applicable).
Applications for enrollment will be accepted from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and from 1 to 4:30 p.m. weekdays or by appointment at the following Head Start locations:
• 835 School St., Brooksville. Call (352) 754-2464.
• 610 N Jackson St., Wildwood. Call (352) 748-6677.
• 403 S Lincoln St., Bushnell. Call (352) 748-6677.