Volunteers needed for transportation boards
The Hernando County Metropolitan Planning Organization has vacancies on the following committees:
• Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee — One vacancy for a disabled individual. This committee analyzes and promotes bicycle and pedestrian issues.
• Citizens Advisory Committee — One vacancy for a District 3 representative, two vacancies for minority representatives and one transportation disadvantaged representative. This committee provides a formal framework for continuing public input on the Long Range Transportation Plan.
• Transportation Disadvantaged Local Coordinating Board — One vacancy for a representative of the medical community. The board identifies local service needs and provides information, advice and direction to the Community Transportation Coordinator on the coordination of services to be provided to the transportation disadvantaged within the county through the Florida Coordinated Transportation System.
Those interested in applying for any of the above volunteer positions can contact Steve Diez with the Hernando County MPO, Room 262 of the Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville. Call him at (352) 754-4057. Applications are also available on the MPO Web site at www.hernandocounty.us/mpo/pdf/appregular.pdf.
Line Dance Club hosts social event on Jan. 2
Brookridge Good Times Line Dance Club will host a social from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Jan. 2 at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St.
A DJ will provide music. An instructor will be on site to provide help, if needed. However, no lessons will be provided.
Beginners and advanced dancers are welcome. Guests can bring their own snacks, drinks and ice. Admission is $4. For information, call Norma at (352) 397-6088.
AARP lists January safe driving courses
AARP Driver Safety Program classes will be offered at the following Hernando County locations in January. This is a six-hour course that costs $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers. Members are reminded to bring their membership cards to the class.
• 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 4 and 6, Ridge Manor Community Center, 34240 Cortez Blvd., Ridge Manor. Call (352) 608-3061 to register.
• 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 6 and 13, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital), Spring Hill. Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 8 and 11, Brooksville Enrichment Center at Jerome Brown Community Center, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville. Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• Noon to 3 p.m. Jan. 12 and 14, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 1 to 4 p.m. Jan. 19 and 21, Brookridge Community Center, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville. Call (352) 666-2246 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 20 and 27, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. Call (352) 684-6348 to register.
Dinner dance helps Alzheimer's group
Tickets are available for the Winter Wonderland charity event to benefit the Alzheimer's Family Organization. The event will be Jan. 23 at the Palace Grand, 275 Della Court.
The event includes dinner, dancing, raffles and auctions. Music will be provided by Stan Prinston.
A cash bar will be from 5 to 6 p.m., dinner from 6 to 7 p.m., and dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. The dinner entree is grilled Italian herb chicken.
Tickets are $50 each. The event is black tie optional. For information or tickets, call (727) 848-8888 or toll-free at 1-888-496-8004.
Family to Family classes start Jan. 21
The National Association on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando will offer free Family to Family classes from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, starting Jan. 21, at the Beautiful Mind Center in the Brothers I and II Plaza, 10554 Spring Hill Drive.
This is a free 12-week course aimed to help families struggling with a loved one's mental illness. To obtain information or to sign up, call Brenda at (352) 666-9650.
Gary Puckett booked to sing at Brookridge
Brookridge Entertainment will present a show featuring Gary Puckett at 7 p.m. Jan. 14 at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville.
Formerly of Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Puckett has sold more than 25 million records, has performed on more than 30 network television shows and at the White House for Prince Charles and the president. Some of his hit songs include Young Girl, Over You and Woman, Woman.
Puckett, who has six gold records, recently released his latest album, Gary Puckett — Live, as well as his first Christmas album, At Christmas.
A limited number of seats are available. Tickets are $15. Call Barbara Bahr at (352) 597-4620.
Continuing education courses at PHCC listed
Pasco-Hernando Community College will offer these continuing-education classes at its Spring Hill Center, 11245 Spring Hill Drive:
• AIDS Seminar, 6 to 10 p.m. Jan. 12.
• CPR, 6 to 9 p.m. Jan. 19 and 26.
• Computer Basics, 10 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays, Jan. 19-28.
These classes will be offered at the PHCC North Campus, 11415 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Brooksville:
• Operation of an Early Childhood Center, 6:30 to 9:45 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 11-May 3.
• AIDS Seminar, 6 to 10 p.m. Jan. 27.
• Computer Basics, 7 to 9 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Jan. 25-Feb. 3.
For more information or to register, call the Spring Hill Campus at (352) 688-8798 or the North Campus at (352) 796-6726.
Humane Society sells 2010 animal calendar
The Humane Society of the Nature Coast is selling its Open Hearts 2010 Calendar.
The calendar features pets in the community as well as pets at the shelter.
Calendars are $5 each, with all proceeds used to care for the animals at the shelter. Calendars are available at the Breakfast Club (both Port Richey and Spring Hill restaurants), Spring Hill Printing Plus, AAA Auto Club in Spring Hill, and the Humane Society shelter at 7200 Mobley Road, at Wiscon Road, Brooksville.
Also, for those thinking about making a donation as a gift for another, with a minimum donation of $10, a Humane Society gift card acknowledging the contribution can be provided. For information, call (352) 796-2711 or visit www.HumaneRescue.org.
'Free Day' distribution set for Saturday
Second Chance Restoration Ministries will host a "Free Day" from 10 a.m. to about 4 p.m. on Saturday in Killingsworth Plaza, 19235 Cortez Blvd.
Volunteers will be handing out clothing, shoes, toys, electronics and other items to those in need. For information, call (352) 585-6083.