ACADEMIA HERNANDO FALL LECTURE SERIES: Academia Hernando will present its Fall 2012 Lecture Series from 10 a.m. to noon Mondays, Sept. 17 through Nov. 19, at Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. All lectures begin at 10 a.m. and end at about noon.
• Sept. 17: "Ghosts," presented by Michael Kruse, an award-winning writer for the Tampa Bay Times.
• Sept. 24: "Paleo Indians," presented by Richard Estabrook, director of the University of South Florida archaeology department.
• Oct. 1: "Overview of Marine Life on the West Coast of Florida," presented by Kevin van Dien, education director for the Florida Aquarium.
• Oct. 8: "Operation Migration — Saving Endangered Species," presented by Sue Walsh.
• Oct. 15: "Citizens of the Worlds," presented by Douglas Fairbanks.
• Oct. 22: "Orchid Dementia," presented by Jeff Rundell.
• Oct. 29: "Aesthetics in Ancient Art," presented by Seth Pevnick.
• Nov. 5: Bus trip to the Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg (for subscribers only).
• Nov. 12: "Florida's Water — Boundless or Finite?" presented by Sonny Vergara.
• Nov. 19: To be determined.
Subscriptions to the series are $55 per person, which includes the Nov. 5 bus trip. Walk-ins pay $8 per lecture. For information, call (352) 597-0158.
RETIRED LAW OFFICERS GOLF TOURNEY: The National Association of Retired Law Enforcement Officers will host its annual golf tournament Oct. 13 at the Dunes Golf Club, 18200 Seville Parkway, north of Weeki Wachee. A shotgun start will be at 8:30 a.m.
The entry fee is $55 per person. There will be a hole-in-one prize on all par 3 holes. Food, beer and prizes will follow at the clubhouse.
For information or to register, contact Chuck Groner at (352) 666-7658.
5K WALK AND ROLL: The Hernando County Education Foundation is accepting entries for a Disability Awareness 5K Walk and Roll that will be Oct. 20 at Nature Coast Technical High School, 4057 California St., south of Brooksville. Race time is 8 a.m.
Medals will be awarded by age group for male and female participants.
The entry fee is $20 for those who register before Sept. 15; after that date, the cost is $25. All participants will receive a T-shirt.
Proceeds will be used for inclusive settings for students with disabilities, parent and teacher workshops, sibling programs and summer camp scholarships.
For information or an entry form, contact Janeen Defilippo at (352) 797-7022, ext. 407, or email@example.com, or visit the website at walkandroll.eventbright.com.
KOREAN WAR VETS SCHEDULE FALL FESTIVAL: Korean War Veterans Legion 5053 and Ladies Auxiliary will have their annual fall festival Sept. 29 at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill.
Doors open at 1:30 p.m. There will be a social hour with a cash bar from 2 to 3 p.m. Door prizes will be awarded. A buffet dinner, catered by John Mason Catering, will be served from 3 to 4:15 p.m. Entrees will include roast beef with gravy and boneless breast of chicken. Dessert will be apple pie a la mode. Irish comedian Danny Justice will entertain from 4:30 to 6 p.m.
Tickets are $20 and must be purchased in advance. No tickets will be sold at the door. Table reservations for eight or more are available. For tickets or information, call Rich at (352) 688-7196.