Groups plan strategy to support Obama
The Hernando County Executive Committee and Brooksville 4 Change, in conjunction with Organizing for America, will host a strategy workshop from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at the Frederick Kelly Elks Lodge, 519 E Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
The group is continuing its efforts to support President Barack Obama's agenda such as employment, health insurance reform and clean energy.
Light refreshments will be served. For information, call Paul Boston at (352) 238-3500.
University to explain higher ed options
Saint Leo University's Weekend and Evening Center will host "Transfer Day" sessions at the following Pasco-Hernando Community College campuses:
• 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, PHCC North Campus, Portable Building 2, 11415 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Brooksville.
• 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, PHCC East Campus, Building A, 36727 Blanton Road, Dade City.
• 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, PHCC West Campus, building S, Room 110, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey.
• 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 1, PHCC Spring Hill Center, Student Lounge, 11245 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill.
The sessions are to discuss bachelor's degree programs and transfer opportunities for students who will graduate from PHCC with an associate degree. Transfer students can enroll in courses through the Weekend and Evening Center programs at the main campus, at university teaching locations at PHCC campuses or by enrolling in courses through the Center for Online Learning.
The customary $35 application fee will be waived to students who complete applications during one of the Transfer Day sessions.
To obtain more information or to RSVP, contact Beth Lastra at (352) 588-7451 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for page program in Congress
U.S. Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite is accepting applications from high school juniors in the Fifth Congressional District for the 2010 Congressional Page Program.
The page program presents students with an opportunity to join Brown-Waite in Washington, D.C.. Pages will assist Brown-Waite legislative duties, deliver correspondence and small packages within the congressional complex, answer phones in the member cloakrooms and prepare the House Floor for sessions.
While serving the House, pages live in Washington D.C., at the Page Residence Hall, a few blocks from the Capitol, and attend classes at the House Page School.
To apply, high school juniors must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in core academic subjects and must be at least 16 on the date they begin their term.
Applications are available online at brown-waite.house.gov, and must be completed and mailed or delivered to Brown-Waite's office at 16224 Spring Hill Drive, Brooksville, FL 34604.
All applications must be received before 6 p.m. April 9. For information, call toll-free at 1-866-492-4835.
More flowers, less work — here's how
Urban Horticulture Agent Jim Moll will present a free class, "Flowering Perennials," at 5:30 p.m. Monday at the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service, 1653 Blaise Drive.
Moll will discuss selecting Florida perennials that produce blooms for years, with little maintenance.
No registration is required. For information, call (352) 754-4433.
Rec programs can get you in great shape
Hernando County Recreation Department offers the following programs:
• Train Like An Athlete, 9 to 10 a.m. Saturdays, starting in April, at Delta Woods Park, 3400 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill. Open to men and women of all fitness levels. The cost is $10 per person, per day, or $35 a month. Participants should bring a mat or towel, small hand weights, sunscreen and water.
• HernandoLoser Community Weight Loss Challenge, starting April 5, at Delta Woods Park. For ages 18 and older. Participants receive a personal coach, a free meal plan, and tips and information on good nutrition and long-term health. The cost is $39.
• Group and private tennis lessons for all skill levels are offered at both Delta Woods Park and Hernando Park, 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville. Group lessons are $10 an hour and private lessons are $30 an hour.
• Tae kwon do is offered 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at Delta Woods Park; 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays at Deltona Elementary School, 2055 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill; and 6 to 8 p.m. Fridays at Kennedy Park, 895 Kennedy Blvd., Brooksville. Open to adults and youth 6 and older. The first lesson is free, the first month is $30 and subsequent months are $45 each.
For details or registration, contact the Recreation Department at (352) 754-4031.
Tasty nibbles will raise funds for Relay for Life
A food-tasting fundraiser, "A Taste of Relay for Life," will be from 3 to 6 p.m. April 10 in the fellowship hall of First United Methodist Church, 109 S Broad St.
In the event, cooks offer a variety of tasting dishes, such as appetizers, entrees, salads, soups and desserts.
The cost is $5 for 10 tastings. Funds raised will benefit the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Tickets can be purchased in advance or at the door. For information, call Dorothy Hinkle at (352) 279-3537, Bev Lewis at (352) 279-1198 or Marsha Roderick at (352) 796-5490.
Latin American group to host dance April 3
The Latin American Civic and Cultural Association will host the annual "Sábado de Gloria" Dance from 8 p.m. to midnight April 3 at SNPJ Hall/Suncoast Dance Party Center, 13383 County line Road. Music will be provided by DJ El Master.
Proper attire is required. Tickets are $8 for members and $10 for nonmembers. Food will be available for purchase. For tickets and reservations, call Ana Burgos at (352) 688-5890 or Rico Torres at (727) 869-9398.
Easter dance social at Brookridge Clubhouse
Brookridge Social Dance will host an Easter Dance from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. April 3 at the Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St.
Music will be provided by Starburst. Coffee and tea will be provided throughout the evening, and guests can bring their own refreshments. Donuts will be served at 9:30 p.m.
Tickets are $5 per person, which can be purchased at the door. Season tickets are also available. Call Dot at (352) 597-0723.
Church schedules April 10 yard sale
St. Paul the Apostle Parish will have a yard sale from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 10 in the parking lot at Spring Hill United Methodist Church, 4244 Mariner Blvd.
Vendor spaces are available for $10. Food and drinks will be available. For information, call Bill at (352) 584-3988.
Orchid Lovers Club plans festival, sale
The Orchid Lovers Club of Spring Hill will present the Festival of Orchids from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 10 and 11 at SNPJ Lodge/Suncoast Dance Party Center, 13383 County Line Road.
There will be numerous vendors with orchid displays, orchids and supplies for sale, and a potting and advice booth.
Admission is $2, which includes a raffle ticket for the hourly orchid plant raffle. For information, call (352) 597-3736 or (727) 856-3485.
Bar association to host golf tournament
The Hernando County Bar Association golf tournament will be May 6 at Brooksville Golf and Country Club at Majestic Oaks, 23446 Links Drive (off Croom Road). The shotgun start will be at 1 p.m.
The cost is $50 per golfer or $175 per team (four golfers). All proceeds benefit the HCBA Scholarship Fund. For information or a registration form, call Amy Germann at (352) 596-0526.