Learn firearms safety at Sportsman's Club
The Hernando Sportsman's Club will offer a firearms safety class from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 4 at the club facility at 16121 Commercial Way, north of Weeki Wachee.
The course provides lessons on the basics of firearms safety around the home and the fundamentals of pistol shooting. Time on the range is included. Completion of the class provides the required documentation to apply for a Florida concealed carry permit.
The cost is $60. Another class will be offered Jan. 21. Preregistration is required. Call (352) 597-9931 or visit the website at hernandosportsmansclub.com.
St. Frances Cabrini soup-a-thon is Jan. 14
St. Frances Cabrini Knights of Columbus and St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church will host the annual soup-a-thon fundraiser Jan. 14 at the church, 5030 Mariner Blvd. There will be four sittings: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., 1:30 to 3 p.m., 3:30 to 5 p.m. and 5:30 to 7 p.m.
There will be 57 local restaurants and 20 parishioners who will supply at least two gallons of soup for the event, including Carrabba's Italian Grill, Ruby Tuesday, Texas Roadhouse, Red Lobster, Cody's Original Roadhouse, Boston Cooker, Greek City Cafe, Chefs of Napoli, Little Havana, Billy Blue Crabs, Rookies Sports Bar, Buffet City and others.
Tickets are $5 each, which allows visitors to sample all of the soup they want, one cup at a time, in a 90-minute period. No carry-outs will be allowed. Soda, coffee, water and tea will be available. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
During the soup-a-thon, there will also be a bake sale and raffle. The cost is $5 for 25 chances. The drawing will be on Jan. 15; winners do not have to be present to win. More than 25 prizes will be awarded, including a flat-screen TV, a year's worth of lawn maintenance, a round of golf and lunch for four, and designer sunglasses.
For tickets, call (352) 686-9767, (352) 398-9942, (352) 596-4709, (352) 597-8878 or (352) 683-9666.
Training program is for supervisors
Pasco-Hernando Community College will offer a 10-week supervisory development training program for newly promoted and experienced supervisors. It will be from 1 to 4 p.m. Fridays, beginning Jan. 20 (dates are not consecutive), at the Spring Hill Campus, 450 Beverly Court.
The curriculum is designed to cover traits that a supervisor needs to be proficient. Topics will include team building, motivation, conflict resolution, government regulations, diversity, performance management, planning and organization, communication and leadership skills.
The program will be facilitated by experienced training consultants, using a combination of lectures, discussions and interactive learning activities.
The cost of the program is $395. Fifty percent reimbursement may be available through the Pasco-Hernando Workforce Development Board for employees of eligible companies who complete eight of the 10 training sessions. The registration deadline is 3 p.m. Jan. 6.
The program, now in its ninth year, is co-sponsored by the Pasco Economic Development Council and the Hernando County Office of Business Development.
For information or to register, contact Lori Bainum at (727) 816-3122 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The course schedule is available online at phcc.edu/academics/noncredit/cpe-sdp.pdf.
Aero Modelers stage plane race Jan. 7
The Hernando Aero Modelers will host a Club 40 Pylon Race from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 7 at the club field at the Cemex entrance road, 16301 Ponce De Leon Blvd.
The event features radio-controlled racing planes. Food and cold drinks will be available. Admission is free. For information, call Bill Panzeter at (352) 346-9948.
Winter lecture series set to begin Jan. 9
Academia Hernando will present its Winter 2012 Lecture Series from 10 a.m. to noon Mondays, Jan. 9 through March 12, at Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. Lectures include:
• Jan. 9: "Stories for the Thinking Person," by Jerry Cowling.
• Jan. 16: Field trip to a Hernando sugarcane farm to see examples of farm implements from days gone by.
• Jan. 23: "Contemporary Architecture in Tampa Bay," by Ed Hoffman, an architect with the Leepa-Rattner Museum in Tarpon Springs.
• Jan. 30: "Marie Curie — Her Life and Work," by Susan Marie Frontczak.
• Feb. 9. Bus trip to Winter Park (Morse Museum and a lake boat trip); for subscribers only.
• Feb. 13: "How Modern Science Has Changed Police Work," by Tim Whitfield, director of the Hernando County Sheriff's Office forensics unit.
• Feb. 20: "Do You Have a Fortune on Your Book Shelves?" presented by George Spiero.
• Feb. 27: "Politics in Florida This Election Year," presented by professor and political analyst Susan McManus.
• March 5: "Customs of Papua New Guinea," by Gertrude Hinsch.
• March 12: "La Bella France: A spotlight on French Civilization and Culture," by Joe Menasche.
Subscriptions to the series are $55 per person. Walk-ins pay $8 per session. To subscribe or for information, call (352) 597-0158. Checks are to be made payable to Academia Hernando and mailed to 5025 Spring Lake Highway, Brooksville, FL 34601.
Driver safety classes begin on Jan. 4
The following AARP Driver Safety Program classes will be offered in January. This is a six-hour class that costs $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers (members must bring their AARP cards):
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 4 and 11, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120 in the Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 688-2486 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 9 and 16, Oak Hill Hospital Partner's Club, 11375 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 688-2486 to register.
• Noon to 3 p.m. Jan. 10 and 12, Forest Oaks Lutheran church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 13 and 20, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 666-9509 to register.
• 1 to 4 p.m. Jan. 13 and 20, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105 in the Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital., 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Jan. 18 (one-day class), Brooksville Enrichment Center. Call (352) 683-6840 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 21 (one-day class), Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., Brookridge. Call (352) 683-6840 to register.