Sons of Italy dine, dance March 28
The Sons of Italy, Nature Coast Lodge 2502, will host the annual Scholarship Dinner Dance from 6 to 10:30 p.m. March 28 at the Hernando County Senior Citizens Club, 7925 Rhanbuoy Road. Music will be provided by Stan Prinston. Tickets are $19 each and those attending can bring their own beverages. For tickets, or to donate a gift or item for raffles, call Grace Brooks at (352) 597-3727.
Sing along, enjoy meal at chorus events
High Point Concordia Chorus will host the following events at the High Point Community Center, 12249 Clubhouse Road:
• Spring Sing, 4 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $2 and can be purchased at the High Point office or at the door. For information, call Gini Schweigert at (352) 592-2147.
• Spaghetti dinner, 5:30 p.m. March 28. Tickets are $6. There will be a sing-along time after the meal. Tickets are available at the office, as well as at the community center on Friday mornings. Call Gini Schweigert at the number above for details.
• Afternoon of music and song with Norm Barnard and his band, 1 to 4 p.m. March 29. Tickets are $6. Food will be available. Call Gini Schweigert at the number above or Ellyn Shulmier at (352) 597-1966.
Hernando Middle council, panel meet
The Student Advisory Council and Title I Committee at West Hernando Middle School will meet at 4:30 p.m. Monday in the school media center, 14325 Ken Austin Parkway. Students and parents welcome. For information, call (352) 797-7035, ext. 256.
'Iron Jawed Angels' screening is March 28
The Hernando County Green Party will present a free showing of the film Iron Jawed Angels starring Hilary Swank at 8:30 p.m. March 28 at Saturn Studio South, 314 E Liberty St. The movie will be shown outdoors (indoors if there is rain).
Swank stars as Alice Paul, a Quaker who led the more radical wing of the women's suffrage movement, along with New Yorker Lucy Burns, played by Frances O'Connor. The film traces the true story of how women struggled for the right to vote in 1920, enduring jail, torture, forced feedings and, in some cases, death. The 2003 film also stars Patrick Dempsey and Anjelica Huston, who won the Golden Globe for best supporting actress.
The film is part of the local Green Party's Green Screens, an ongoing series of free films on current issues. Also during the March 28 film showing, the local Green Party will award a door prize of a pair of tickets to an evening with Amy Goodman, sponsored by Tampa radio station 88.5 FM, on April 6 at the Marshall Center at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Goodman, an award-winning journalist and author, is promoting her latest book, Standing Up to the Madness: Ordinary Heroes in Extraordinary Times.
For information, call Suzanne at (352) 666-7576 or Jennifer at (352) 683-3151.
Sign up Wednesday for Chasco Pageant
Star Search International will take registrations for the Chasco Pageant and Model Search from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Perkins Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way.
The Chasco Pageant and Model Search will be March 28 during the Chasco Fiesta event in New Port Richey. The pageant has age divisions for babies, boys and girls to age 18, and offers titles, prizes and trophies for all participants.
For information, call (352) 678 9588 or visit online at chasco pageant.com.
Refresher course is for drivers 50 and older
The AARP Driver Safety Program is a refresher course for drivers 50 and older. The cost is $12 for AARP members (bring membership card) and $14 for nonmembers.
The course will be offered at these locations in April:
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. April 1 and 8, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, 11375 Cortez Blvd. (behind Oak Hill Hospital), Spring Hill. Call (352) 592-1057 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m. April 3 and 6, Brooksville Enrichment Center at Jerome Brown Community Center, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville. Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 15 and 16, Sterling House, 10440 Palmgren Lane, Spring Hill. Call (352) 683-1176 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 15 and 22, Spring Hill Enrichment Center. Call (732) 300-4595 to register.
• Noon to 4 p.m. April 21 and 23, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 8 a.m. to noon April 22 and 23, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville. Call (352) 684-6348 to register.
Festival of Orchids set for March 28-29
The Orchid Lovers of Spring Hill will host a Festival of Orchids from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 28 and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 29 at the SNPJ Lodge/Suncoast Party Dance Center, 13383 County Line Road.
The event will include orchid plants and supplies available for purchase from 15 growers and suppliers. Admission is $1. There will be door prizes and hourly raffles. For information, call (352) 688-5933 or (352) 200-6119.
Workshop offers tips to natural pain relief
The Foundation for Wellness Professionals will offer its Natural Solutions to End Pain workshop on the following days:
• 6 to 7 p.m. Monday at West Hernando/Staffordene T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave.
• 3 to 4 p.m. March 28 and from 6 to 7 p.m. March 31 at Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
The speaker is Mary Bristow, acupuncturist and doctor of Oriental medicine. Participants will learn about natural, nondrug solutions to help relieve suffering from neck, shoulder, back, leg, hip, knee or sciatica pain.
Space limited, reservations required. Call (352) 799-1882.
Drop off unwanted medications March 28
The Hernando County Sheriff's Office will collect expired, unused or unwanted prescription medications from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 28 at the Wal-Mart Supercenters at 13300 Cortez Blvd. and 1485 Commercial Way.
Sandwich coupons from Chick-fil-A will be given to those who drop off medications. One coupon per participant will be given out while supplies last.
The purpose of the event is to give residents an opportunity to clean out their medicine cabinets and for the proper disposal of medications. For information, call (352) 754-6830.