To help children and families in need during the Christmas season, various organizations are seeking donations and assistance.
• JAM Jesus and Me Ministries is in need of Christmas gifts for children ages newborn through 12. JAM will be providing a Gift of Love Christmas Party for children in need on Wednesday at the American Legion Post 99, 208 E Fort Dade Ave. Donations of toys, bicycles, clothing, books and other gifts are needed. Those wishing to help out can pick up a tag that lists a child's name, age, gender, and a gift that he or she would like to receive for Christmas. Donations can be dropped off at City Hall. Along with the children and their parents, gift-givers will also be invited to the party. Churches, organizations, businesses and individuals can help out. To learn more, call JoAnn Munford at (352) 340-9594.
• Jericho Road Ministries is looking for volunteers to help serve its free Christmas meal from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 24 at First United Methodist Church, 109 S. Broad St. Donations of food and toys are also needed. Gifts for teenagers are especially needed. Some of the food items needed include turkeys, hams, pies, instant potato mix, stuffing, milk and other food items. Paper grocery bags are also needed. The ministry is planning to serve and deliver more than 400 meals this season. For information or to help, call Pastor Bruce Gimbel at (352) 799-2912, ext. 100.
• People Helping People is accepting nonperishable food donations and personal toiletries through Dec. 23 at the following locations: Hernando County Association of Realtors, ReMax Marketing Specialists, Sawchuk Insurance, Horizon Palm Group, Westside Animal Clinic, Humane Society of the Nature Coast, DK Nails, Heather Community Center, Heather Golf Pro Shop, Complete Technology Solutions, ReMax Spirit, Mirage Hair Studio, Weichert Hometown, Tropic Shores Realty, Century 21 Alliance, Keller Williams Elite and Janosko Dougherty and Associates.
• The Christmas Angel Program of Hernando County has wish lists for children from infants through 18 years old that provide clothing sizes and toy wishes. Sponsors may purchase items on a wish list or provide monetary and gift card donations. Also needed, and accepted year-round, are donations of working computers (that can run Windows XP), used working televisions and VCRs. Donated computers are given a "government scrub" to remove all sensitive data. Call Mary or Bill at (352) 596-1552.
• The Foster Parent Association of Hernando County needs sponsors to help with wish lists for 80 local foster children. Monetary and gift card donations are appreciated. Also, donations of food baskets and gift cards to Walmart, Publix or another grocery store to buy Christmas hams are appreciated. Call Linda Hoins at (352) 754-0377.
• The Marine Corps Reserve's Toys for Tots Program in Hernando County has collection bins set up at various locations for donations of new, unwrapped toys. Drop-off sites are available online at http://spring-hill-fl.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/donate-toys.asp. For information, call (352) 796-3666.
In Spring Hill: Accuform signs, Adventure Cycle Center, American Aviation, Atria Evergreen Woods, Bank of America, Best Buy, Bridgewater and Nantucket apartments, Compass Banks, C's Pub & Package, Chaney Chiropractic Clinic, Complete Technology Solutions, Discovery Point Daycare, Downing Funeral Home, Dr. Tim Terlep, Dunkin' Donuts, EXtreme Bicycles, Fantastic Pre-School & Daycare, Foot & Ankle Care Center, Fun Fitness Factory, Gold's Gym, Hernando County Veterans Services, Mirage Hair Studio, Hair Affair, Jiffy Lube, Mariner Bowling Lanes, Music Lessons, New-U-Weight Loss Center, Northcliffe & County Line Hess Station, Microtel Inn & Suites, Pisano's, Pickled Parrot, Pinch A Penny (Kass Circle), U.S. Postal Service (Kass Circle Location), Printing Plus, Rising Star Music, Rizzo's Pizza, Silverthorn clubhouse, Spring Hill Chiropractic, Spring Hill Fire Rescue (all stations), Spring Hill Lanes, Springstead High School, Sterling House, Sweetbay Supermarket, the Storage Center at Spring Hill, UPS Stores, United Printing Services and VFW Post 10209.
In Brooksville: Broad & Wiscon Self Storage; Brooksville Country Club at Majestic Oaks; Dunkin' Donuts; Central High School NJROTC; Glen Lakes Country Club; Hale's Liquor Store; High Point Golf Club; Marine Corps League 708; Marshalls; Nellie's Restaurant; Hernando County Tax Collector's Office; Pine Grove Elementary School; Physical Therapy Services; Register Chevrolet; West Hernando Middle School; Caglianone, Miller, Anthony attorneys at law; Shiloh Problem Solvers; Texas Roadhouse; U-Haul Storage, and Marine Corps Recruiting.
Countywide locations: Arby's, Beall's Outlet Stores, Big Lots, Family Dollar Stores, Dollar General Stores, Edward Jones Investments, Hernando County Utilities, Publix Super Markets, R. Tate's Auto Body, Regions Banks, Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union, Walgreens, Winn-Dixie stores and VFW Post 9236 Hernando Beach.