HPH Hospice seeking volunteers in all areas
HPH Hospice needs volunteers. Adults and youngsters 14 and older are welcome. Volunteer opportunities include working on office projects, helping with an event, answering phones and visiting patients at their homes or at an HPH Hospice facility.
A volunteer orientation will be offered 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 18 and 20 at HPH Hospice office at 698 S Broad St. Attendance on both days is required. Lunch will be provided.
To register, call Anne Clark at (352) 796-2611. Visit the website at hph-hospice.org.
Weeki Wachee High's SAC meeting Monday
Weeki Wachee High School will have a SAC meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday in the media center. The school is at 12150 Vespa Way.
For information, call (352) 797-7029.
Academia Hernando's winter lecture series
Academia Hernando will present its Winter 2011 Lecture Series from 10 a.m. to noon Mondays, Jan. 17-March 21, at Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way.
• Jan. 17: The United States and Rising Powers, presented by Jack Herman
• Jan. 24: All That Jazz, presented by Joel Fyvolent
• Jan. 31: Persia and Cyrus the Great, presented by Joe Menasce
• Feb. 7: Nicholas and Alexandra, presented by Anne Shamas
• Feb. 14: Ethically Doing Unethical Things, presented by Douglas Fairbanks
• Feb. 21: Eleanor Rooselvelt with Susan Marie Frontczak
• Feb. 28: Bus trip to the new Dali Museum (for subscribers only).
• March 7: Touring the Classics that Shapes Literature and Art, presented by Betsy Hatton Wood
• March 14: NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center, presented by Russell R. Romanella, associate director for engineering and technical operations at the center
• March 21: Concert (to be arranged).
Subscriptions to the series is $55 per person. Walk-ins pay $8. To subscribe or for information, call (352) 597-0158.
Free class to learn about starting a farm
A free class series, Starting a Small Farm, will be offered at 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 11-25, at the Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service, 1653 Blaise Drive.
Topics include "What Kind of Farm?" on Jan. 12; "Money Matters" on Jan. 18 and "Greenbelting and Farming Resources" on Jan. 25.
The classes will be presented by regional specialized extension agent Stacy Strickland. Registration is required. Call (352) 754-4433.
Spring Hill Art League plans artist receptions
The Spring Hill Art League will present the following art receptions:
• Reception for artist Karen Heidler, 6 to 8 p.m. Jan. 14, Pak Mail, 19514 Cortez Blvd. Refreshments will be served. Heidler, who has a bachelor's degree in fine arts, works primarily in watercolors, but also works with acrylics. Her works will be on display through the end of February.
• Reception for artist Susan Duda, 5 to 7 p.m. Jan. 15 at Easy Street Home Decor, 100 N Brooksville Ave. Refreshments will be served. Duda, an art instructor, works in all mediums. Her works will be on display through the end of January.
• Reception for artists Esther Pohl, Brenda Glenny and Carole Knudson, 5 to 7 p.m. Jan. 26, Rising Sun Cafe, 10 S Main St. Refershments will be served. The artists' works will be on display through the end of February.
For information, call (352) 799-9690.
Jewish Film Festival to honor Gertrude Bert
Temple Beth David will present its third-annual Jewish Film Festival at 2 p.m. Sunday at the temple, 13158 Antelope St. The movie, Yoo-Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg, will be shown.
The film explores the cultural significance of a creative and energetic Jewish woman, Gertrude Bert, and how her vision and drive broke cultural boundaries in the 1930s and beyond. Also, an episode of the TV sitcom, The Goldbergs, will be shown.
The cost is $5 per person.
Upcoming film showings will include The Governess, starring Minnie Driver, on Feb. 13; and Mrs. Delafield Wants to Marry, starring Katharine Hepburn, on Feb. 27.
For information, call (352) 686-7034.
Select right plants to add color to landscape
A free horticulture class, "Adding Color to the Landscape," will be presented at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
Urban Horticulture Agent Jim Moll will discuss what plants will flower, even during frosty winter months.
Seating is limited. For information, call (352) 754-4433.
RIDGE MANOR WEST
Free financial class on managing credit
The Hernando County Cooperative Extension Service will offer a free financial class, "Effective Credit Management," at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road.
Participants will learn skills in handling credit and avoid severe financial problems. To reserve a seat, call (352) 754-4433 or (352) 540-6391.