Healthy brain workshop at Hospice
HPH Hospice will host a free workshop, "A Healthy Brain," from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 9 at the HPH Hospice team office at 12260 Cortez Blvd.
Jerry Fisher, program specialist for the Alzheimer's Association, will facilitate the workshop, which is targeted to baby boomers and seniors. He will give participants tips for keeping their brains agile, which can help reduce the risk of Azheimer's disease or other dementia.
"A Healthy Brain" is an Alzheimer's Association program based on the best available science on brain health and focuses on things a person can do every day to exercise the brain.
There is no cost, but registration is required. Call Jen Carlevatti at (3520 573-8514. Information is also available online at hph-hospice.org.
Driver Safety Program schedule for August
AARP Driver Safety Program is offering these classes in August. This is a six-hour class that costs $12 for AARP members and $14 for nonmembers (members must bring their AARP cards):
• 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 3 and 10, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 684-2524 to register.
• 1 to 4 p.m. Aug. 5 and 12, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105, Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• Noon to 3 p.m. Aug. 9 and 11, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. Call (352) 797-7497 to register.
• 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 15 and 17, Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 799-3370 to register.
• 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 17, Brooksville Enrichment Center. Call (352) 666-2246 to register.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 20, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., Brookridge. Call (352) 666-2246 to register.
Meeting on growing food slated July 25
A community meeting, "Growing Food for Hernando County's Hungry," will be presented at 9 a.m. July 25 at Green World Path, Inc., 1665 Donto Way.
The program will include community outreach, gardening, awareness and a presentation on "Hungry in America." It will include helping to grow healthy local food for churches and organizations such as People Helping People, Love Your Neighbor, Jericho Roads Ministries and others, as well as expanding the Auro Community Garden for this project.
To obtain more information or to RSVP, call Dori Bon at (352) 799-0200 or (352) 263-1998.
Dedication set for new section of cemetery
The City of Brooksville Cemetery will have a dedication of its newest section, the Green Meadow, from 10 to 11 a.m. July 29, at 1275 Olmes Road.
The Green Meadow will offer a "green," natural burial option, an environment of native flora and wildlife. It will provide a habitat for endemic birds and animals, returning lands to their native grasses, flowers and shrubs.
Call Brooksville Parks and Recreation at (352) 540-3830 or visit cityofbrooksville.us.
Rising Sun Cafe to host artist reception
An art exhibit featuring the works of Susan Duda, Stuart Harrison, Judy Johnson and Jana Withers is on display throughout July and August at the Rising Sun Cafe, 10 S Main St.
A reception will be from 5 to 7 p.m. July 28. Refreshments will be served.
The event is cosponsored by the Spring Hill Art League. For information, call Sandra LaValley at (352) 799-9690 or visit springhillartleague.com.