Residents urged to prepare FOR Isaac's EFFECTS
County officials continue to monitor Isaac as it makes its way northward off the west coast of Florida. Officials urge residents to make any necessary preparations, as Isaac could dump rain on our already-saturated county. For information on how to prepare for the storm, call the county's resident information center at (727) 847-2411 or (727) 847-8959. The line will be staffed from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. through the weekend. Sand and sandbags are available daily until 8 p.m. The limit is 20 bags per household. Bring your own shovel. They are at the following locations:
• West Pasco Government Center, 7536 State St., New Port Richey.
• Zephyrhills Fire Station No. 1, 6907 Dairy Road, Zephyrhills.
• Fire Station No. 10, 7918 Rhodes Road, Hudson.
• Fire Station No. 17, 2952 Seven Springs Blvd., New Port Richey.
• Fire Station No. 25, 34335 Chancey Road, Zephyrhills.
• Land O'Lakes Recreation Complex, 3032 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes.
• Dade City Police Station, 38042 Pasco Ave., Dade City.
• C-Barn county fleet building, 30906 Warder Road, San Antonio.
• Wesley Chapel District Park, 7727 Boyette Road, Wesley Chapel.
• Veterans Memorial Park, 14333 Hicks Road, Hudson.
• Jack Mitchell Park, 4025 Little Road, New Port Richey.
The city of New Port Richey is also providing sandbags to city residents only. Households may get up to 20 sandbags from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. today at 6420 Pine Hill Road. Identification must be shown to prove city residency.
Support group will help caregivers
HPH Hospice and the Florida Gulf Coast Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association have created a new Caregiver Comfort support group for caregivers of people who have Alzheimer's or dementia. The group's first meeting will be from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 7 in the sixth-floor chapel of the Edwinola Retirement Community, 14235 Edwinola Way. The group will meet at the same time and place on the first Friday of each month after that. The group is free and is led by Stephen Cook, social work supervisor for HPH in East Pasco. To register, call (813) 780-6797.
Hospital to offer free prostate tests
As part of Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, Pasco Regional Medical Center will offer free PSA blood draws from 9 a.m. to noon and 4 to 7 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the hospital, 13100 Fort King Road. To register, call toll-free 1-877-362-5321.
NEW PORT RICHEY
Fashion show will aid Cancer Society
Florida Cancer Affiliates and Business & Professional Women/Calusa will sponsor a fashion show for the American Cancer Society. The event will be held at 10 a.m. Sept. 15 at Seven Springs Golf & Country Club, 3535 Trophy Blvd., featuring fashions from Macy's. The show will also include lunch, door prizes, a raffle-style auction and a live auction. Proceeds will benefit Business & Professional Women/Calusa's scholarship fund and the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk. $30 in advance, $35 at the door. For more information or to purchase tickets, call Mary Capo at (727) 484-7700 or Joanne Grassi at (727) 856-9595.