Hospice shop: Gulfside Regional Hospice Thrift Shoppes will host volunteer orientations throughout the month. Volunteers must be age 16 or older. Reservations are required. For New Port Richey orientations, call Kathie Poole at (727) 845-5707. For east and central Pasco orientations, call Jennifer Ball and Tracey Thompson at (813) 780-1235.
• 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at Gulfside's Bereavement and Community Outreach Center, 6230 Lafayette St. in downtown New Port Richey, for all new West Pasco volunteers.
• 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 16 and 17 at Gulfside's Center for Hospice Care, 5760 Dean Dairy Road, Zephyrhills, for new patient care volunteers.
• 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 23 at the Lutz Thrift Shoppe location, 1930 Land O'Lakes Blvd., Land O'Lakes, for new Thrift Shoppe volunteers in Central Pasco.
driving class: AARP offers Smart Driver classes for drivers age 50 and older. Most insurance companies offer a discount for completing the class; the certificate is valid for three years. The cost is $15 for members and $2 for nonmembers. Registration is required; call the instructors:
• Tuesday at the Village Grove Homeowners Association, 38718 Vulcan Circle, Zephyrhills. Call instructor John Wheeler at (813) 766-7408.
• Tuesday at the Land O'Lakes Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes. Call Bev Cogdill at (813) 907-3908.
• Jan. 21 at the New River Library, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills. Call Bev Cogdill at (813) 907-3908.
• Jan. 14 and 15 at Hudson Library, 8012 Liberty Road, Hudson (three hours each day). Call Ray Miller at (727) 869-3724.
• Jan. 27 at Meadow Pointe I Community Center, 28245 County Line Road, Wesley Chapel. Call Dennis Smith at (813) 994-9832.