Labor Day events feature food and fun
The following Labor Day events are scheduled. Unless otherwise noted, events will be on Sept. 7:
• Marine Corps League Detachment 708 Labor Day Picnic, from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road, west of Brooksville. The picnic will include grilled barbecued chicken, sausage and peppers, and accompaniments. Entertainment will be provided by Brian Chytka. Call (352) 597-7979.
• VFW Post 10209 Labor Day cookout, 11 a.m., 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill. All-you-can-eat hot dogs, hamburgers, and sausage and pepper sandwiches, plus soda, for $12 per person. Draft beer will be 50 cents. Music provided by DJ Rusty. (352) 796-0398.
• Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582 Labor Day Party, from 2 to 6 p.m., 14494 Cortez Blvd., west of Brooksville. Entertainment provided by Looney Tunes. The menu choice is fish and chips or chicken and chips, served with macaroni salad and dessert. Tickets are $7 and are limited. Call Angie Balderon (after 5 p.m.) at (352) 585-2730.
• VFW Post 8681 Labor Day Parrot-head Party, from 1 to 6:30 p.m., 18940 Drayton St., Shady Hills. There will be Jimmy Buffet music and "paradise" food, including cheeseburgers, wings, and you-peel shrimp. Food prices vary. Margaritas will be available. Music provided by Claude. Wear floral shirts and bermuda shorts. Call (727) 856-1860.
• Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 Barbecue, 3 p.m., 9135 Denton Ave., Hudson. Dinner will be served from 4 to 4:30 p.m. and includes barbecued pork (right from the pig), baked beans, potato salad and corn on the cob. There will be prizes and games. Music by Jim and Jim from 3 to 7 p.m., followed by karaoke with Annie at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the bar daily from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Call (727) 863-2520.
• Wellington Labor Day Luau, from 4 to 9:30 p.m., Wellington Clubhouse, 400 Wexford Blvd., Spring Hill. Cocktails (cash bar) will be from 4 to 5:30 p.m. and dinner will be from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The menu includes roast suckling pig; one-quarter glazed chicken with roasted pineapple and roasted red peppers; snow peas with chestnuts; spring mix tossed salad with macadamia nuts, mandarin oranges, and sweet and sour vinaigrette dressing; Polynesian rice; a watermelon basket; pineapple rum cake; and coffee and tea. The meal will be catered by Sioux City. Entertainment starts at 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. with Hawaiian entertainer Charlie Ho. He will teach the hula and there will be a hula contest. He will also provide music, including Hawaiian and today's sounds. Tickets are $25.50 for adults and $10 for children 10 and younger, which includes tax and gratuity. Tickets must be purchased by check only (no cash) and can be purchased at the clubhouse from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Call (352) 666-6888.
RIDGE MANOR WEST
See 'Shopaholic' film for free at library
The Hernando County Public Library will have a free showing of the 2009 comedy film Confessions of a Shopaholic at 3 p.m. Tuesday at the East Hernando Branch Library, 6457 Windmere Road.
Based on the book by Sophie Kinsella, the film stars Isla Fisher as Rebecca Bloomwood, a 25-year-old living in New York City with her best friend, Suze, played by Krysten Ritter. While trying to pay for her shopping addiction, Rebecca lands a job as a financial journalist and falls for a wealthy entrepreneur.
The movie is rated PG. Light refreshments will be served. For information, call (352) 540-6391.
Christians will gather at courthouse to pray
Christians from all backgrounds and denominations will come together for the Historical Hour of Prayer at 8 a.m. Saturday at the Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St.
The event will take place around the entire grounds of the courthouse and government center complex. It will include county officials and workers, pastors and church members throughout Hernando County and others.
For information, call (352) 238-8690 or (352) 398-9979.
Golf fundraiser helps DECA candidate
A golf fundraiser will be at 1 p.m. Oct. 10 at Southern Hills Plantation Club, off U.S. 41.
The event includes golf, lunch and refreshments, a live auction, raffle and door prizes, as well as surprise "celebrity" guest appearances.
The cost is $100 per player. Funds raised will benefit the campaign of National DECA presidential candidate Michelle Venezia of Central High School's DECA Club.
To sign up, contact Nick Catroppo at (352) 585-6527 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy bluegrass and country gospel music
A Bluegrass and Country Gospel Jam will be from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday in the fellowship hall next to Faith Fellowship Church, 19255 Campground Road, off Cobb Road.
Those bringing instruments should arrive by 1:30 p.m. to set up.
Singers and spectators are welcome.
Light refreshments will be served.
For information, call Chery or Tom Dickson at (352) 796-6589 or e-mail email@example.com.