Five recognized in first Women Inspire Awards
About 100 area business and community leaders took part in the Largo/Mid-Pinellas Chamber of Commerce's first Women Inspire Awards celebration.
Presented by the chamber's popular Women In Business Council and featured at a recent Chamber Business Luncheon at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 210 Seminole Blvd., these five women in the mid Pinellas region were recognized for making a difference in the community and workplace:
• Myra Chandler Haas, founder of the Largo Leader and Belleair Bee, and longtime supporter of community, business and charitable organizations.
• Sallie Parks, an activist who has made an important difference in the lives of many in our community. Park's resume includes president of the North Pinellas League of Women Voters, lobbyist for St. Petersburg College, founding executive director of the Pinellas County Arts Council, director of public relations and marketing for Mease Health Care, Pinellas County commissioner and treasurer of the governing board of Southwest Florida Water Management District.
• Valerie McCleary, a source of inspiration and encouragement within the educational community.
• Mary Twohey, program director of the Caring & Sharing Center for Independent Living, a service and advocacy organization that serves people with disabilities in Pinellas County.
• Leslie Pohley, Largo Middle School science teacher and recipient of many awards including the 2008 Florida Science Teacher of the Year.
Networking event starts at 5:30 p.m. Thursday
The Largo/Mid-Pinellas Chamber of Commerce will host a Business After Hours networking event from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Pinebrook Business Center, 7441 114th Ave. N, Largo.
The event is $5 for chamber members and $10 for nonmembers. Advance registration is recommended. To register, call (727) 584-2321 or e-mail events@largo chamber.org.
Nominations for civic awards due Friday
The Largo/Mid-Pinellas Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations for its Citizen of the Year and Mac Norcross Small Business Person of the Year awards. These celebrated presentations will take place at the chamber's 57th Annual Meeting on Sept. 18 at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort, 1160 Gulf Blvd., Clearwater.
Citizen of the Year nominees must be living individuals who have focused attention and direct efforts on the Largo/Mid-Pinellas region and brought acclaim or public notice; have outstanding achievement in community service; have a place of business in the Largo/mid Pinellas region; and have performed uncompensated volunteer services in the community. Offices/chairmanships of national, state and local civic and nonprofit organizations will be considered.
Mac Norcross Small Business Person of the Year nominees must own a locally operated independent or franchised business with 50 or fewer full-time employees and be an active member of the chamber. A commitment to the community, as demonstrated by contributions of personal time and/or resources, and a proven commitment to local entrepreneurship/small business must be demonstrated.
Nomination deadline is Friday. For nomination forms or for more information about award criteria, call the chamber at (727) 584-2321 or e-mail email@example.com.
Learn how to help workers in a disaster
"Disaster Preparedness from an Employee's Perspective" is the topic of a business seminar from 8 to 9:30 a.m. Aug. 27 presented by the Human Resources Factor at the Largo/Mid-Pinellas Chamber of Commerce, 151 Third St. NW, Largo.
The program will discuss emergency preparedness, focusing specifically on assistance to employees. It will examine the types of employee services and support that should be considered by employers in the event of a disaster. Participants will each receive a copy of Personnel Policy on Disasters: Employee Support and Response, which can be easily adapted to meet the needs of any company, as well as sample employee support announcements, and a listing of employee assistance resources.
Cost is $25. To register, call the chamber at (727) 584-2321 or visit thehumanresourcesfactor.com.