Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Terror threat closes U.S. diplomatic missions in Mideast

Terror threat shuts missions

A terrorism threat has prompted the United States to close dozens of American diplomatic missions in the Middle East, North Africa and elsewhere through the weekend, U.S. officials said Thursday. Officials gave few details about what prompted the move to close an unusually large number of U.S. missions, but said there was "credible" information that an al-Qaida regional affiliate might be plotting an attack sometime in the coming days. Officials said the State Department was planning to have nearly all U.S. diplomatic facilities in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia closed through the weekend, including missions in Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

Iraq toll highest in five years

More than 1,000 people were killed in Iraq in July, the highest monthly death toll in five years, the U.N. said Thursday. The grim figure shows rapidly deteriorating security as sectarian tensions soar nearly two years after U.S. troops withdrew from the country. Violence has been on the rise all year, but the number of attacks against civilians and security forces has spiked during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, which began early last month. The increased bloodshed has intensified fears Iraq is on a path back to the widespread chaos that nearly tore the country apart in the aftermath of the U.S.-led invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein in 2003.

Berlusconi's sentence sticks

For the first time in decades of criminal prosecution, a conviction against former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi finally stuck Thursday, leaving the media mogul with a four-year prison sentence for tax fraud with all of his appeals exhausted. But it's highly unlikely the man who long was Italy's most powerful politician will serve out the sentence behind bars. Experts said that at 76, Berlusconi would more likely face house arrest or community service.

Disputed poll poses divisions

Allegations of vote-rigging flowed Thursday in Zimbabwe with reports of fake registration cards, voters turned away from the polls and people appearing on voters' lists four times with different IDs. Even before results were announced, the main opposition camp said longtime President Robert Mugabe stole the election, which his supporters denied. Either way, the country faces fresh political uncertainty. Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, Mugabe's main challenger, said the elections Wednesday were "null and void" due to violations, and a poll monitoring group also said the poll was compromised by a campaign to stop voters from casting ballots.

Times wires

Terror threat closes U.S. diplomatic missions in Mideast 08/01/13 [Last modified: Thursday, August 1, 2013 11:41pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. On average, a quarter of Transformation Zone staff not returning next school year

    Blogs

    Combined, nearly one in four teachers staffed at eight schools in the Pinellas County school district's Transformation Zone will not return to their school in the fall.

  2. New Port Richey police investigating shooting that left one man wounded

    Public Safety

    NEW PORT RICHEY — A man was shot and wounded Saturday after police said he assaulted a restaurant employee.

  3. What to watch this week: 'Still Star-Crossed' on ABC, 'House of Cards' Season 5

    Blogs

    MONDAY

    Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey in House of Cards Season 5.
  4. Rays call up Jose De Leon to add depth to bullpen tonight

    Blogs

    The Rays decided that after playing 15 innings Sunday they could use some depth and length in their bullpen after all and are calling up RHP Jose De Leon from Triple-A.

    RHP Erasmo Ramirez is still slated to start tonight, even after throwing 12 pitches to get the final three outs - and the save - in Sunday's …

    The Rays have recalled Jose De Leon from Triple-A Durham.
  5. Trump hails the fallen and their families at Arlington

    Nation

    ARLINGTON, Va. — President Donald Trump expressed his nation's "boundless and undying" gratitude Monday to Americans who have fallen in battle and to the families they left behind, hailing as heroes the hundreds of thousands buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

    President Donald Trump participates in a wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day, May 29, 2017 in Arlington, Virginia. [Photo by Olivier Douliery - Pool/Getty Images]