The following Memorial Day programs are planned for Monday, unless otherwise noted:
• Memorial Day Service, 11:30 a.m., Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9236, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. Snacks will be served. Call the post at (352) 596-9236.
• Pig roast, 3 p.m., Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582, 14494 Cortez Blvd., west of Brooksville. Tickets are $10. Entertainment will be provided by the Looney Tunes. Tickets are limited. Call Angie Balderson at (352) 585-2730.
• Florida National Cemetery Ceremony, 10 a.m., 6502 SW 102nd Ave., (exit 309 off Interstate 75), southwest of Bushnell. The speaker will be Thomas G. Bowman, senior adviser with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Sunshine Healthcare Network. Randy Price of WQYK-FM 99.5 will serve as master of ceremonies.
The Hernando High School Band, led by Joseph Harrin, will perform patriotic music prior to the ceremony; band members will also play echo taps with Gayle Williams. Also, Linda Burnette and Laura Riley will sing.
The Pasco County Sheriff's Office will provide a riderless horse led by Deputy John Bushell. Immediately following, Naomi McClain will play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes. The Florida National Guard will provide the gun salute and posting of the colors. There will also be a flyover by Ye Mystic Airkrewe and a wreath presentation.
The ceremony will also include the Avenue of Flags, which includes a display of more than 400 flags along the cemetery roadways. Organizations with colors can participate in the massing of colors at the beginning of the program. Veterans' organizations are asked to arrive by 8:30 a.m.
Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets. For information, call the cemetery office between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays at (352) 793-7740.
• Memorial Day Ceremony, 11 a.m. May 30, at Florida Hills Memorial Gardens, 14354 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. The ceremony will be presented by Turner Funeral Homes, Florida Hills Memorial Gardens and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209. It will be at the World War II monument at the memorial gardens and will include a flag raising, recognition by military and local dignitaries, presentation of colors and presentation of the wreath.
Parade participants include Korean War Veterans Chapter 174, Sons of the American Revolution, VFW Post 10209 and Ladies Auxiliary, and the Hernando County Civil Air Patrol. Lunch will be served after the ceremony at VFW Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive. For information, call the post at (352) 796-0398.
Residents are also reminded they can bring tattered flags to Florida Hills Memorial Gardens for proper disposal on any day.
• Memorial Day Service, noon May 30, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville. The speaker will be former POW/MIA veteran Jessica Lynch, who, in 2003, was first woman POW rescued during Operation: Iraqi Freedom. Lynch will share her experiences, both military and civilian. The event will include a number of participants, such as the Marine Corps Detachment 708, Central High School Naval JROTC Drill Team and the Brooksville Brass Quintet. For information, call Jack Waldron at (352) 597-1113.